Monday, June 29, 2009
Suzy Homemaker I am NOT!
I just finished doing some cleaning. I totally cleaned my kitchen--cleared and cleaned the counters, the stove, wiped down the fridge, swept and mopped the floor, and cleaned the sink. I'm sure some of you out there do this regularly like once a week or if you are a real freak (I mean that in love) more than that. But, for me, this only happens about once every 6 months. I clean my sink, my stove, sweep, etc. more than every 6 months but only when it's gotten really gross and never all at the same time. Every once in a while I get the cleaning bug and go crazy on one area and get it really clean. Too bad I don't get that bug every day. I've tried to be a really organized housekeeper and actually succeeded for a couple of years. I used the flylady zone cleaning system and did a relatively good job of keeping my house in order (sort of). I also had a Bible study that met in my house once a week and that helped. And, although I had young kids they took naps and also we didn't leave the house nearly as much. These days I waver between being frustrated with my lack of organization and accepting that this is a season in my life and someday my house will be relatively clean again. It will never be crazy clean b/c that is just not me. It took me years of owning my own home before I thought to wipe down a baseboard. Right now I feel like I just put out fires--the bathroom starts to stink or grow mold in the shower and I clean it, the sink gets gross and I clean it, the foyer is starting to look like a sand box and I sweep it, and on it goes. When there are no fires to put out you can find me on the couch with a book or on the computer or in the kitchen (I do spend half my life in the kitchen.). So, I am trying to find the balance and a system that works for me without being overwhelming. I know that this system needs to involve regular chores done by the kids just not sure how to pull it together. I'm thinking baby steps--come up with one simple job per kid and then be consistent and slowly build on that. Baby steps for me too, like a list of what I'd like to accomplish each week. A basic list, if it's too long or ambitious I will not do it. I could use some advice and suggestions about how to go about this. Marissa has got a good thing going with her kids--now she just needs to blog about it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I am SOO right there with you! I had my cleaning frenzy this weekend-in the kitchen anyway! :) The only time the house gets really clean is when someone is expected to come over. I at least had a fighting chance when my m-i-l used to watch Tucker on Mondays!
I love when you blog about your mess. =) It makes me feel like I am not the only out there will clutter and crumbs.
when you find the secret tell me!!:) I will say that we are MUCH better at my home..and it started with holding the kids to their part! keeping their rooms clean every day!! cleaning up after themselves as well as helping me when I need it! HOWEVER I have found us being gone so much helps alot too!! LOL!!
Thank you for calling me a freak in love! :o) I would love to be more like you. Really. I would. My obsession with having everything neat and tidy is just madness I tell you. What you listed, I do every day, out of habit. Yes, it is a sickness of mine. Pray that I become a little more laid back. :o)
You are speaking my language. I get into a frenzy one room at a time. Usually there are months between rooms because by the time I'm done with one, I am so done.
Remember last summer we were all supposed to get together and help each other with an area (or two) of our houses? Maybe it's time to try to work that out. I could certainly use the help, and I think it seems a little more rewarding to clean someone else's house.
If you guys clean each others houses...plan a trip to GA! Mine could use it!
I've never tried it, but I saw a system that looks great: http://suchtreasures.com/2008/05/08/chore-system-chore-cards/
I'm right there with you!
Try picking one job for each kid and just have them do that job for a long time (like weeks, every day), until they master it. Then you can have them rotate. Baby steps! I am only moderately freaky. A little mess doesn't drive me crazy but after a few days I have to get it all clean again.
my system isn't perfect but it works. i will post it real soon!
Post a Comment