Could this month be any longer??? I just uploaded some new pictures and I can't believe how many pictures I have in my April folder. It seems that this is the month that never ends, "it just goes on and on my friend..." (remember that song?) Anyway, I haven't had much to post this week. It's been a normal ridiculously busy week, seems to be the new norm for me, but nothing really wonderful or exciting. So, here are some pictures from my week--
The praying mantises are continuing to grow and eat. This morning one of them looked really big and after looking around a bit I saw that he had shed another exoskeleton! By this afternoon 3 more have shed again. It's hard to really see them in this picture but if you enlarge it you might be able to see them. The one towards the top is still a little attached to its exoskeleton. AND--in big news we have tons of fruit flies now. I was getting worried because we had larva and even little chryasalid type things but none were hatching. Well, they are now and we have more than enough fruit flies to sustain these mantises for a while longer. I'm hoping we are able to keep them in their habitat until June 28 at least. That is when we have a homeschool exhibition and it would be neat to display them.
Hannah played beauty parlor or should I say barber shop. She likes to give him the messy look. He was actually having fun with this but was mad at me for something and so that is why he has this scowl on his face.
We babysat a baby from church for the day on Friday. She was a sweet baby and easy to keep for the day--wouldn't want to do it full time but for the day I enjoyed it. This is a picture of Joe trying to read to her, she wouldn't sit still and he was getting frustrated.
The kids found this caterpillar at the park on Friday. Her name is Pinkie Pye and we haven't been able to identify her yet. If Grace and Joe would leave her alone she might be ready to make her chrysalis and turn into a butterfly or moth.

Grace's last two pictures from art class. Their wonderful art teacher is taking the summer off and may not be starting back up again. She has been a wonderful teacher and we have so much beautiful artwork! Grace has done almost exclusively insects. She worked a long time on this ladybug and rushed through the praying mantis in her last class. It's still pretty cute!
Here is Hannah's latest acrylic paint picture. She doesn't love it but I think it's great.
How has your week been???
6 comments:
We sometimes call Tissy "Pinkie Pie". I don't even know where it came from.
I am sure you have had a busy week.
Time must move slower there. April has flown by here. I love Grace's praying mantis! Joe is a good brother to let his sister play beauty parlor with him.
I pay people to get the bugs out of my house. Please oh Please do not let Owen be one of those boys that want pet frogs or heaven forbid..SNAKES. I will put my foot down at anything other than dog, cat and maybe...just maybe an ant farm that is put away every night. I saga of the mantis continues.
Just think of all the money you have saved with the art lessons. You should never have to buy artwork for your house again.
C asks B to "cut his hair" in their beauty shop games! I love to see siblings play together.
This is one of my favorite sites for caterpillar identifying.
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/insects/cateast/families.htm
I checked them all, and suggest that you click on the "cutworms" one. It looks like a sallow maybe, but it's hard to tell. Sometimes, you have to read the descriptions, not just go by the pictures, since often caterpillars vary in color even within the same species.
Post a Comment