Saturday, April 12, 2008

Mantis Update

I know you guys are really following this story and are just DYING to hear the latest.  I know.  Inquiring minds want to know.  So--we have returned home from our 45 minute drive for fruit flies and fed the mantises.  Too bad I couldn't have videoed that one.  Each little mantis is in a small plastic container.  I had to (with a little help from my friends--Hannah, Grace, and Joe) open each little container and make sure little Manty didn't jump out AND at the same time try to release two and only two little fruit flies into the container and then slap a lid on it.  We had fruit flies all over the table and I just paid good money for those things so we were all chasing fruit flies and popping them into containers.  Not an easy task but we did it and as far as I know not one fruit fly was lost.  Those little Manties were hungry.  Most of them immediately chomped down on a fruit fly.  That was fun to watch.  Now they are all hanging out quietly in their little containers with their daily feed.  I got two vials of fruit flies and managed to not dump all from either of them into the Mantis dens so hopefully they will get busy reproducing.  Maybe I'll put on some romantic music and light a candle and move their vials away from the praying mantises so they won't be terrified.  

4 comments:

Ingle Nook said...

This is too funny to me! Congrats Granny Mantis!

Steph C. said...

Whew. Thank GOODNESS for demographics!!!! Lol

Grammy said...

You are so stinkin funny!! I have laughed till tears are streaming down my face! And Steph's first post was hysterical!! Oh how I wish I were there.
Love, Mom

5Gustos said...

Sounds like an awesome project. Your rendition of getting the fruit flies into the little container to feed the baby mantis sounds remarkably similar to our trying to slap the lid back on the snake box without losing the mice into the house! I don't know what's up lately, but we've been getting some pretty fiesty mice. (I guess they know what's comin'!)