Sunday, April 20, 2008

Pad Thai recipe--finally!

A few people have requested this recipe and I keep saying that I am going to put it on my blog and then I forget--so here it is!  A few things first--this recipe calls for tofu and shrimp but you could omit either of those or even substitute chicken for either of them.  Also, I usually double this recipe because my family loves it and I love having leftovers.  And--about half the time I skip the bean sprouts but they do add some nice crunch.

7 oz. wide rice noodles (I can never find these so I usually just use fettucine or rice sticks)
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. oil, divided
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
7 oz. extra firm tofu
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup cooked shrimp
2 cups bean sprouts
dollop of peanut butter (optional)

First, soak the noodles in hot water according to the package directions.  If you are using fettucine then cook it.  Combine the fish sauce, sugar 2 Tbsp. of the oil, and soy sauce in a small bowl and set aside.  Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a skillet over med-high heat.  Saute the tofu cubes, if you're using htem, until golden brown.  About 7-8 minutes.  Remove them from the pan and set them aside.  Reduce the heat to med-low and scramble the eggs breaking up any large pieces.  Set the eggs aside with the tofu.  Drain the noodles.  Saute the garlic and shrimp for about thirty seconds and then add the fish sauce mixture and the noodles.  Add the tofu, eggs, and bean sporuts, stirring gently until everything is thoroughly heated.  At this point you can also add some peanut butter if you like it a little peanutty.  

2 comments:

Ingle Nook said...

Is this recipe weight watcher friendly? Just curious if you've fiqured the points. Sounds yummy!

Melissa said...

Oh, delightful! I LOVE Pad Thai!!