We've really only completed one real day of school so it's easy to say that things are going well. We did school on Monday but today was our first day of our Tuesday schedule. We'll go to a Precepts Bible Study in the mornings. I will be studying 1 Peter with a great group of ladies. The kids are all in classes as well. Hannah's class is doing the book, "Prophecy for Kids" covering Revelation 1-7. She is loving it and even has homework which she is really excited about. Grace and Joe's class will be learning about the names of God. They don't have a book or homework (thank goodness). I asked Joe how he liked it and he told me that he wanted to go there every day. So, I guess that means he likes it. I love that I can have my time and they are not only being taken care of but also being taught God's word. After Precepts we went to the park for the rest of the afternoon. It was hot but the heat doesn't seem to faze the kids. I feel like I've drank a gallon of water today and I'm still thirsty.
Back to Monday--our loose schedule went well. Joe wanted to start school immediately after breakfast. I wasn't really ready yet, I still wasn't dressed but I figured I should start while he's willing. He made it about a half hour and then he was done. We only did some workbook stuff so it was pretty boring. We'll get into some more fun stuff next week. He was mostly cooperative but saw no reason to write the number 8 because he already knows how to write that number. He ended up doing it but did it pretty messily. I'm looking forward to doing a little more with him tomorrow and hopefully making it a little more interesting. At least spend some time reading to him or something. We've got tons of educational books I could choose from. After he finished his school he was happy to play on the computer and do his own thing while I schooled the girls. He asked a few times "how much longer?" but he never caused a problem. It took me until almost lunchtime to do everything with the girls and that's without starting the My Father's World stuff. I was pleased at how well Grace was doing with reading. I had intended to work with her a lot over the summer but it just didn't happen. The break seems to have done her some good. She was retaining a lot more and I am hopeful that she will be fluently reading by the end of this school year if not before. Hannah really liked all her new books and was working hard to write really neatly. The woman who evaluated her commented on how bad her handwriting was and that has really bugged her. She can write very neatly but usually chooses not to in her workbooks. I think that might have changed though now. I am doing a few new things with her and one of them is Wordly Wise. It's a vocabulary workbook but I thought it would work for spelling as well. It's pretty challenging but Hannah seemed to like it. So, all in all, things went well. I'm looking forward to the next three days to really get into it. I love the routine of school and the purpose it gives to our days.
4 comments:
Harrison did Wordly Wise at LCA. He hated it! But it was great for spelling and vocabulary. I just realized that sounded really rude...but I didn't mean it that way. They had several years of Wordly Wise. It is a great curriculum--tough but very strong. They are starting a new workbook (similar to Wordly Wise) in 10th grade...I think! Glad it went well!
We like Wordly Wise and it's one of the workbooks I've kept up with my 3 as they've gotten older.
I'd love to hear more about the names of God study the younger kids are doing. That sounds awesome!
I LOVE Tuesdays! And I will say AMEN to the children's classes!
Sounds like you are doing great if you can get everything but MFW done before lunch time. That's what we do around here. Then after lunch we huddle up for the reading & discussing.
30 minutes with Joe sounds pretty good. Just committing that much time to him at the beginning of your day will make a world of difference, or it has with Levi. Levi started playing much more independently when I started spending just a little bit of 1 on 1 with him before I got involved with the older kids.
Post a Comment