Sunday, March 8, 2009

Daylight Savings Time

I consider myself an intelligent person.  I can do high level math, I read a lot, I have a fair amount of knowledge about history, science, etc.  But--two things really get me.  Grammar and Daylight Savings Time.  I know I will spend all of today obsessing over what time it "really is" vs. what time the clock says it is.  I will do this for about three or four days.  The thing is, I always end up confused.  Before I even got out of bed this morning I was trying to figure out how much sleep I had gotten.  I felt more tired than I thought I should feel so I was thinking, "what time does my body think it is"?  And, after some figuring I just knew that it was 8:30 instead of 7:30.  And I was thinking, I should not feel so sleepy.   I thought this until I just looked at my DVD clock that hasn't been changed at it says 6:30.  No wonder I'm tired.  Then I started trying to figure out if people who forgot to set their clocks will be early to church or late.  Still not sure on that one.  WHY is this so confusing?  Does anyone else get this confused?  Does anyone else obsess about what time it would be if we hadn't changed?  I think my mom used to do this, am I right, mom?  Maybe it's genetic.

Now, about grammar...just kidding.  I don't even want to talk about that!

11 comments:

Ingle Nook said...

Yes! Mom still obsesses about what time is should be...for about a week. We lost an hour that is all I know and for some reason you can choose to participate or not (not sure who makes that decision) but Arizona doesn't participate, think about that for a while :). A guy just made it up and we all followed suit. Now about grammar...hate it! I think commas are used strictly to let your reader take a breath and I love ..., use that all the time. It means I am thinking or changing thoughts, so...have a great Sunday...whatever time it is!

Melissa said...

Oh, the horrors of Daylight Savings. In the last place we lived in NZ, there were a lot of dairy farmers. They hated the time changes. The cows didn't know the time had changed. I love the lighter evenings - but the change to and from always messes me up for longer than I think it should.

crispy said...

Hate time change. I didn't sleep well because I couldn't figure out what time it was. My cell phone (which is the closest clock to me in the night) switches automatically. So I couldn't tell if it was regular time or new time.

DebiH. said...

I will be stressed about it for a few days. When I want to put Nate to bed at 8 pm tonight...will he still think it's only 7 pm?? He can't even tell time and I am worried about it. Happens to me every year (twice)!!

Randi Sue said...

My little 4 year old Olivia heard that we had to change the clocks and asked me "why?" i told her, it is just the rule, so we do it. It was a strange conversation, because she still didn't get it and after trying to explain it to her, i didn't get it either.

Unknown said...

Based on reading the comments, I think you need a "Time Changing Nut-cases" therapy group! :) I don't obsess about it at all. We change our clocks the night before and tell ourselves that it is the new time. When David used to work nights, he would lose an hour's pay on Daylight Savings night--he would only work 11 hours not 12.

Now obsessing about losing one's cookies--that's something I can relate to! :) See you on Tuesday!

Grammy said...

Yep I have been confused since last night! So I guess you inherited it from me. Love, Mom

Sarah said...

Tiffany,

That is too funny. I seem to have the same obsessive compulsiveness you have - and the same with grammar. I can never remember the rules. I am sure that when I was in school we didn't put a comma before the "and" at the end of the series, and now you do. And, like Ingle Nook said, I use "..." all the time for the same reasons she does! Too funny.

ann marie said...

I spend weeks saying what time it would have been if we hadn't done the time change. I do like that it stays light so late. That's worth all the confusion.

Becks said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I am soooo tired.. darn hour of sleep.. the only thing i like is that it is lighter later..

Anonymous said...

That is funny. Indiana always screws me up with the time change thing. For years, when Mike and I were doing the long distance relationship thing, I never knew when to call, because I was so confused as to what time it was there. Weird.
I always forget to turn one clock and leave it that way year round. Interestingly, I stayed up until 4:30 working on projects Saturday night/early Sunday morning and still got up at 6:30. I actually felt great all day, but the little ones were sick. Mike took Jon and Elizabeth to early church with him, while he did the parking thing. Elizabeth was the only one in the sanctuary when Doug started worship. She said it was funny because he said Good Morning...Elizabeth. Funny.