As of today, I am officially getting myself off caffeine. My body is such that it quickly gets addicted to caffeine and if I have it more than two days in a row then I get a raging headache as soon as I don't have it. And--if I start with just a cup in the morning, then within a week or so I get a headache in the afternoon if I don't have more. So for the last month or two I have had coffee in the morning and coffee or soda in the afternoon. And just in the past few days I've started getting a headache in the early evening as well, like my body is hollering for more caffeine. I LOVE coffee but it is frustrating to know you HAVE to have a cup or you will get a horrible headache. So, today is the day--no more caffeine. Not forever of course, as I mentioned, I LOVE coffee but I have to get it out of my system and then I can have a cup every few days but not everyday. Or drink just decaf of course. I have to admit that I do love the rush of caffeine but I think that the "coming down" is contributing to my irritableness and the "rush" contributing to my inability to sit still and relax. Overall, it's a bad idea to let this go on.
AND--as though this won't be hard enough. I'm also going gluten free for the next three weeks. I am curious to see if some of my "issues" (feet problems, psoriasis, etc.) are possibly related to gluten intolerance. It's a long shot but I'm willing to try anything at this point and three weeks should be enough time to see if it makes a difference. I welcome any recipes or hints from you gluten free people out there!
6 comments:
My only tip is not to use only one type of flour if you are going to bake anything. Brown rice flour is good, but if you use it by itself in a recipe, it tastes gritty. Most of the recipes I have call for brown rice flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca flour (starch), potato starch, and xanthan gum. E-mail me if you need a source for this stuff.
Tiffany, I don't think you could ever be irritable...and I would love to see you hyper on coffee. Speaking of, and not to rub it in your face, but I think I may go fix myself a cup...but it is only so I can go and see who is behind closed doors with my boss...and because I have a 4month old so I am sleepy.
Oh, you are going to have some fun - caffeine free and gluten free. My favorites are Quaker Rice Crackers - lots of flavors - read the labels and gluten free frozen waffles (when I can afford them) - at Publix, freezer isle at back of store - (not with the regular waffles, that would be too simple). I've just made some gluten-free corn dogs. I'll save you a couple. If they're nasty, I'll give you all of them. :) Gustos and I can give you way more info. than you ever wanted to know.
Wow...gluten AND caffeine withdrawl...I will be praying for you! See Melissa for gluten free recipes...I've got to take out gluten AND casein, so you probably don't want mine... :)
wow, you are going to be a mess for the next few days!!! I will be praying for you!
I would highly recommend going to decaf (but that is from my afraid to be addicted to anything, post-addictive personality!) BUT if you really just have to have SOME caffeine every few days like you said you might go back to, then try the "half caff" coffee. It will probably be easier on you and less addictive since you aren't taking in as much at once.
Boy, have I been missing a LOT of conversation. I am still de-compressing from our long trip (drove all night!!! Crazy. I don't want to do that again.) You know the drill as you travel more than us: unpacking and 10 loads of dirty laundry. I didn't even get much of that done because I had to go get groceries, (2 stores for them), get mice for the snakes, etc. Oh, yah! The gluten-free bit. You've already talked to me a lot about it. Call me if you want more info. I am currently trying to get out of our little GFCF rut. I know there's more out there to fix and eat than I have been fixing. Good luck. Call me. Praying for you. Oh, and I don't recommend going caffeine-free cold turkey. Start weaning off. If it's too traumatic, it stresses your body too much, and you will have more difficulty finding success. Just my *humble* opinion, though I've never had to get off caffeine.
Post a Comment