Sunday, August 31, 2008
Caffeine
I have a love/hate relationship with caffeine. I love it but my body hates it. I love coffee of any kind. I love it caffeinated, decaf, iced, hot, frozen, coffee ice cream. I would even venture to say that I love coffee more than chocolate. I know, that's a pretty extreme statement. What I really love is a packet of hot chocolate mix in my coffee, now that's good. Back in college there was this place in the Student Union Building that had the most amazing chocolate coffee. My friend, Leslie (who reads this blog from Kansas--everybody say "Hi, Leslie!") and I drank gallons and gallons of chocolate coffee. I've never been able to replicate it but adding hot chocolate mix to coffee comes close. So, I've established my love for all things coffee. Now, let's talk about caffeine. I also love caffeine, I have to admit. I love the rush of energy I get when I have a big cup of coffee. That feeling of, "I can conquer the world!" This is the problem (besides the fact that I should find my strength and joy in God and not in a drink)--caffeine really does not like me. I get addicted to it so fast. If I have caffeine three days in a row and then on the fourth day have none I will have a killer headache that nothing can touch. If I just have a cup of coffee every morning within a week I will get that same headache in the afternoon if I don't have another cup and the cycle just continues. My body always begging for more. It's not fun. I like to enjoy my coffee but not feel like I have to have it or else. Why am I bringing this up now? Because last night I had one of those killer headaches and just decided that this is ridiculous. This has to stop. I have to discipline myself to just stay away from caffeine. I was in bed at 8:45 with a horrible headache to the point of nausea. I need to become a decaf girl all the way. There is really only one problem with that. McD's iced coffee doesn't come in decaf and I'm in love with that stuff. So, that will just be my once a month treat or something. I've already quit getting it as regularly in an attempt to save money. And, to make all of this a little easier I've discovered a hot tea (that I make iced) that I really like. It's Bigelow Spiced Chai and they make it in decaf. It's quite tasty and will do for my "one drink that's not water" (yeah, right) a day. You guys will have to hold me accountable to this. I need help.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I love Bigelow chai, but I foolishly bought Lipton Chai, to save a buck, and boy am I sorry. Turns out, sometimes you get what you pay for. Stick with Bigelow. Oh, I did not know this until Greg pointed it out, but chai has about 55 milligrams of caff., not much, but if you are like me and drink ten cups a day it can add up. I drink SO much tea and one day could not figure out why I felt like I was hopped up on something. Then Greg told me and I said OOOOHHH! I am a caffeine nut. I know I should cut back but it's so hard!
Sorry, I know you said you get teh decaf. I was referring to the regular chai. I just wanted everyone to know that REGULAR chai had caffeine in it. I never knew, so I just wanted to share that!
Hi Leslie!
That's tough... I like caffeine too and drink all flavors and kinds of coffee and tea (diet). I can have a cup of coffee at night and still go to bed with no problem. My addiction was diet coke. I use to drink about a 2 ltr bottle a day and when I quit that, I got the headaches... but coffee and tea doesn't do that to me for some reason.
Hi Leslie!!!
I love coffee too...don't care about the caffeine-
wish it didn't give you headaches.
One time Sloan did a current events class and did a whole paper on coffee addiction setting the example to kids for beginning addictions....thanks a lot kid.
You can see what a lotta good it did me: Coffee with the editor...lol but it was an interesting piece and true. When we say "I NEED coffee" how is it any different from saying I NEED a hit of cocaine??? Hmmm, somehow I guess the legality of one trumps the other but you see my point.
Made me feel guilty for about 2 days and then I got over it.
I know you've battled the caffeine thing for a long time. I'm sorry. Might be worth looking into yerba mate as a replacement. It doesn't taste the same, but it has an energy-inducing property that's not addictive, nor does it induce all the caffeine side effects (or withdrawls). I guess a lot of people use it when weaning off caffeine. I might have an article on yerba mate if anybody is interested.
Hi Everyone!
Thanks for the shout-out Tiffany! Often I think about that delicious coffee and the cherished time spent with you enjoying it in the Student Union building--great memories! I wish you much strength in kicking the caffeine habit. Chai tea is wonderful- hopefully that will help.
Leslie
Post a Comment