Friday, October 17, 2008

Pilgrim Pies

Here's the recipe for Pilgrim pies--they are just pumpkin cookies sandwiched with cream cheese frosting.
2 eggs
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
15 oz. can pumpkin or 2 cups fresh (cooked and mashed)
3 cups flour
1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
filling--
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 to 5 cups powdered sugar

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix wet ingredients well and then add dry ingredients. Drop a heaping tablespoon of batter onto a cookie sheet, slightly flatten each mound. Bake for 12 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, make the frosting. Add the powedered sugar half a cup at at time to the cream cheese mixture until the frosting is spreadable. Sandwich a generous amount of cream cheese frosting between cookie pairs.
Makes 10-14 pilgrim pies.

3 comments:

Grammy said...

thanks for the recipe, they sound wonderful

Peaches and Cheese said...

They do sound delicious. However, if you think I'm going to cook and mash some fresh pumpkin you're CRAZY. I was thinking of buying pumpkin shaped sugar cookies and filling them with frosting. Or, just eating the frosting...
Aunt Ricki, you can send me some if you want ;) I'll eat Jane's portion. She doesn't like unique food (and David's portion for that matter - he may actually be fussier than Jane) :)

Smith Schoolhouse said...

I think I want to make some cookies too. Now where did I place those leaf cookie cutters???