Friday, October 31, 2008

Robin Hood and Disney

We managed to pack a ton of fun into one day yesterday! No wonder I'm so worn out today even after a full night's sleep. We started our day with some fellow homeschoolers seeing a play that was a pretty funny version of Robin Hood. The kids' theatre director's husband was in the play and it was fun to see him performing. He found a way to acknowledge us and our friends during the archery part. As he shot his arrow he shouted out our friend's last name (they are also in theatre) and then when Robin Hood shot his arrow he shouted our last name. I missed it completely but Julie and Madi heard it. After leaving the theatre and a quick Chick-fil-a lunch we went to Epcot to see Joel in his other job--the velcro show at Epcot called, "What's Your Problem?" We felt like Joel groupies. After a ride on Spaceship Earth, Joel's show, and a stop at Club Cool-the soda place we hopped on the monorail headed for Magic Kingdom.

Three braid girls ready for a day at Disney!
They've redone Spaceship earth and now they take your picture at the beginning and at the end they ask you some questions about how you'd like to live in the future and then come up with a video of you and your seatmate living your virtual life. This is a picture of our screen at one part of it. It's hard to see, I think if you click on the picture it will enlarge. The little video is hilarious! They've really turned a somewhat boring ride into a lot of fun.
Hannah and Madi got picked as contestants in Joel's show. The whole show is about velcro and has the audience playing games using velcro. In this game they were supposed to stack the shapes by velcroing them together. It proved to be much harder than you would think.

Joel and his co-host did ridiculous funny dances pretty much the whole time. You can catch them mid-move in this one.
And, in the end--neither team had anything to show for their efforts.
We got to Magic Kingdom while the parade was going on so the kids climbed up on this wall to catch the last half of the parade.
The park was really decorated for Halloween. It was fun to see their decorations. They always go all out. That's what that huge admission price helps pay for.

Here's Jake in my wheelchair. Julie pushed me around all day--yeah Julie! I bet she's sore today. We did get to go on the rides without waiting in line so it wasn't all bad.

This is probably Joe's absolute favorite ride. What kid doesn't love to drive their own little car. Joe mostly just turns the wheel left and right and we bounce off the bumper in the middle until he dissolves in laughter and lets go of the steering wheel. Then I take over and set us straight for a minute or so before he takes over again. I was car sick by the time our turn was done. Another perk to being in the wheelchair line? We got to go twice in a row without any additional wait.
The big kids went around twice too but changed drivers at the starting line so each would have a turn driving.


We also got to go on Thunder Mountain twice. These kids loved it!

We had a great day. We ended with dinner at McD's and then home to bed.

8 comments:

Grammy said...

Looks like another fun day at Disney. Glad everyone had such a good time.

Cheryl said...

wow... that sounds like a FUN day!

Lisa said...

I LOVE that new video thing at Epcot. Doug and I laughed ourselves stupid the first time we saw it...we were in this Jetsons looking movie...what a hoot! Now that we know where the camera is, I like to make stupid faces or pick my nose for the picture.

Lori said...

It was so great seeing you yesterday. Next time we'll have to plan a picnic so we can catch up more:)

ann marie said...

of course i clicked on the picture of you and julie...it was really cute
it looks like you had a fun filled day!

Steph C. said...

so cute!

Randi Sue said...

I worked at the Grand Prix my 18 year old summer. It was funny, because I didn't even have my driver's license yet. I had to drive the cars on the track in the morning or off the track at night. I was scared the first time I did it. My favorite position was out by the track, watching for little kids that were having trouble. Then I would get in the car with them and drive them in. I enjoyed meeting kids from all over the world. I never knew if they would be able to speak English.

One time a car stopped on my foot and I got a nasty bruise. Thank God for the issued steel toed boots.

Smith Schoolhouse said...

I guess you might have your own line of people wanting to go to Disney with you since htere are so many perks! just kidding! Glad you didn't hurt yourself- go Julie!