I have a book that is a collection of essays and excerpts from books by George MacDonald. Here is a quote that I have had on an index card on my kitchen cabinet for a couple of years.
"Have you today dismissed even once, an anxious thought for tomorrow because Jesus told us to? Have you ministered to any needy soul or body, and kept your right hand from knowing what your left hand did, telling no one of your action?
Have you, this day, begun to leave all and follow Him?
Did you set yourself not to criticize, talk against or judge others?
Did you bring fair and righteous judgement to your decisions?
Are you wary of covetousness?
Did you forgive your enemy and do him good or show him kindness?
Are you seeking the kingdom of God and His righteousness before all other things?
Are you hungering and thirsting after righteousness?
Have you this day given, of money, of time, of possessions, of skill, or of compassion, to someone who asked of you?
Have you shown consideration, done good, returned kindness fora wrong done you, extended patience, been a servant, rejoiced in adversity, taken the role of humility before others, prayed for someone you don't like, trusted God to supply a pressing need?
Have you done any of these things, suppressing your natural tendency, and done them with rejoicing?
4 comments:
Holy good-things-to-print-out-and read-every-day-batman!
I love George MacDonald! You know he was a favorite author of C.S. Lewis...He also wrote several children's books, including The Princess and The Goblin, The Princess and Curdie, and At the Back of the North Wind. The children loved his books (except the last one...which is one of my favorites...it was a little above their heads, more allegorical, with deeper spiritual insights...oh well, maybe when they hit middle school...) :o).
I have never read his children's books but I've read about 6 of his books that have been republished by Michael Phillips. They are sooo good and full of spiritual truth. My favorites are A Daughter's Devotion and The Poet and the Pauper (actually two books published together). I have a book of his fairy tales but haven't read them. I keep forgetting I have it. I think I will go find it now.
I have read one of his children's books as an adult and loved it. I don't remember the name right now.
Post a Comment