Saturday, January 5, 2008

A Wonderful Resolution

On our camping trip we were discussing resolutions.  As a side note, I never make resolutions.  I just did that silly list for humor purposes.  It's not a real list.  In case you didn't realize it.  Anyway, Ollie doesn't make resolutions either but I found out that Hannah did make a resolution.  I guess they talked about it Sunday morning and she and Kiwi's daughter came up with a resolution that we could all adopt.  They are going to try to be better people and then meet back next year and see how much they've improved.  I was very encouraged by this, for some reason I have been battling anxiety about the approaching teen years.  I know, it's ridiculous to borrow trouble from tomorrow but you hear so many awful stories.  I would love to be able to say that I know with certainty that my children will never act like that but I've been humbled too many times.  So, I am leaning on my Lord for wisdom and peace.  I know He will show me how to best love her, train her, respect her and help HIM to mold her into a wonderful godly young woman.  I love that her focus was on growing and trying to be better instead of something more worldly--sing better, dance better, get more stuff, (all important in her life :0)).  It also gave me a great opportunity to talk about what she is going to do to make this happen.  She had a lot of ideas and I got to tell her that the best thing she can do is pray about it everyday.  Pray that God would help her to choose what is best and to show her how she can be a better person.  It was a great conversation.  And on a lighter note, I can now hold this over her head for the next year.  When she is acting not so nice I can just remind her--don't you want to become a better person.... :0)

3 comments:

Steph C. said...

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

5Gustos said...

How sweet. It's neat to see kids growing up. (Not that I think *your* kids need to grow up! I am speaking in general, and wishing a little more of it for my kids. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey,
My idea (I had the kids do the whole relolution idea) was to do something little and measureable, like empty the dishwasher or make the bed. So, maybe you could guide her towards something like that. Becoming a better person is noble, but it might just become way to huge and discouraging. She could also find a corresponding verse to help her in her time of weakness. (Just a thought.)