Sunday, October 12, 2008
The Blog World
Wow! Is there any better time waster than the blog world? All you have to do is start at one blog and then start clicking on links and before you know it an hour or more has passed. I am usually pretty disciplined about only reading blogs of people I know. Otherwise my time just flies away and I'm left with neglected kids, dishes, mess, and no shower. I've broken my own rule today and really wish I hadn't. One good thing about reading the blogs of people I know is that I really know them outside of just their blog. So, even if they never do a "keeping it real" post and only post pictures of all the wonderful things they've done I don't fall into comparing myself. I probably already know their "real" and I am happy for the wonderful things they are doing without feeling like--"man, why can't I do that?," "my house doesn't look like that," "I didn't make homemade fill-in-the-blank...," and so on it goes until I leave the computer knowing that I just don't measure up to how wonderful everybody else is. I fell into that boat today. It started innocently but lead to finding a number of blogs of women who are doing amazing decorating in their houses and I am so not that person. The problem is that I'm itching to really decorate for fall around here without spending a dime. Actually--maybe a few dollars on some pumpkins but we can eat those later so I can justify that. So, I have to hit that little "x" and close these blogs that are making me feel inferior or are depressing me. I feel the same way about shopping--if I seldom walk into a store or the mall I have no idea of all the wonderful things out there that I don't have and desperately need but don't have the money for. In these cases, ignorance is bliss. Truthfully, I have NO time to be reading all these blogs anyway. If I would quit researching and just get the kids, some construction paper, glue, and scissors, we could get this house decorated. I won't be winning any awards for my decorating skills but we'd all have fun and I'd probably feel pretty good about myself. I think I'll go check the construction paper supply--any suggestions for cheap and easy crafts for fall decorations? I'm thinking fall--not Halloween. I've got lots of great Halloween ideas but I try to play down the holiday even though we do dress up and go trick or treating and have carved a jack-o-lantern once. :0)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Don't let those blogs get you discouraged. Find enjoyment for those beautiful homes/decorations but don't feel inferior.
I could feel discouraged about how many books you read or all those amazing lap books...(I still can't figure out how you get all those books read). But I find inspiration in your enthusiasm and drive.
OK, now I will close bloggidy land...
You are doing just fine by your family. I'm sure that your kids would rather have a mom that can make crepes while simultaneously dealing with a vomiting child, than to have pretty store-bought decorations around the house.
My sister once did a really cute fall wreath for children's church. She used silk leaves, but you could do some from construction paper. Cut the middle circle from a cheap paper plate, and glue on the leaves. You can add a pretty bow to the wreath too. Have fun decorating with your children. I'm sure they will love it.
I look at extra decorations as just more stuff to feel guilty that I'm not cleaning up. Doc asked me to draw some pumpkins on a piece of paper so he could color them the other day. Then he wrote all the family names under the pumpkins and taped it to the front window. That's the extent of our decorating - I love it, but nobody's putting it in a magazine:)
Anyway, be encouraged we all have our god-given gifts. You have a BUNCH (authenticity is one of them) and I love reading about how you're using your gifts on your blog.
if it's too good to be true... it usually isn't.
Post a Comment