Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Photo Ornaments

We put our tree up on Monday night--we got a pre-lit artificial tree and I love it! So easy, and it looks really nice. Not too fake. I thought I'd do a blog post about photo ornaments. I've done photo ornaments ever since the girls were babies. At first I did the Hallmark photo ornament but as those are fairly expensive, I got creative.

The church we used to go to made these angel ornaments for the babies. This is Joe's but I also have one of Hannah and Grace, they are so sweet! To the left of the angel, there is one that I got from Oriental Trading Co. I did those for a couple of years, they are easy and cheap.
Until three years ago, I always did separate ornaments for each kid but I could see if I continued that trend there would be no room for all of them. I thought this ornament came out really cute. Cheap and simple--some popsicle sticks, foam stickers, a picture, and some green paper.

This is my all time favorite! At our local library, they have all sorts of die cuts and if you ask they will usually let you use them. I cut a bunch of these wreaths out, taped a picture in, hot glued a bow and you've got a very cute ornament.

Last year I was trying to think of something different and I came up with this one. On a regular sized sheet of white paper I drew and colored a Christmas tree and then added my kid's faces as ornaments. I took them to a print shop and had it scanned and then shrunk down so I could get four on a page and cut them out, had it laminated, and we had our ornament.

Here is this year's. You will have to click on it to get the full picture--I had this silly idea to use my Usborne's How to Draw Christmas book and turn the kids into elves. I think it's pretty cute and quite funny. If I were to do this over (or if I were more of a perfectionist the first time), I would have not cut the girls' long hair out, it leaves them looking sort of weird, but oh well. The one to the right of it is Grace as a baby. I cut out a star, glued on a picture, and contact papered it. The one to the left of Grace is one they did at church last year with popsicle sticks and it turned out really cute. Grandparents really love these ornaments and make a fun pre-Christmas gift.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I love our home made ornaments. My parents have some of our old photo ornaments on their tree...it's a laughfest every year when we look at all of them.

Ingle Nook said...

I'd like to see a pic of the whole tree decorated.

Unknown said...

Those are cute! We do something similar. The kids each make an ornament with their for Daddy and we put them in his stocking. We also do the tradition of each child gets an ornament (either bought or homemade by me) each year related to their current interests. When they have trees of their own someday, they will have at least 18 or so ornaments to start with that represent them growing up. (My mom did this and I have all of mine from childhood. It's cool--I even have vintage Strawberry Shortcake ones!)

Cheryl said...

love handmade ornaments too, for sure! and photo handmade are the best!

Lori said...

So cute! Our photo ornaments are my favorite parts of our tree. Doc Brown's head came off his angel ornament - I need to reglue it.