Friday, December 5, 2008

Random Thoughts on a Friday Afternoon

I feel like I have run a marathon this week, a "to-do list" marathon.  As of an hour ago, everything is marked off for this week.  This time of year I do my lists by the week.  That way I'm only overwhelmed by one week's worth of stuff to do instead of the month's worth.  Thankfully, I think this is my busiest week as far as stuff to get done around the house.  So, the next couple of weeks should be calmer.  Next week will be busy in the evenings--Hannah will be in 4 performances of "Annie, Jr."  and there are a couple of Christmas events I'd like to attend.  

I think it's funny when people talk about doing things "under the tree,"  like opening their gifts under the tree or sleeping under the tree.  I immediately imagine them hunched underneath the tree.  I don't know what their tree looks like but I can't fit under my tree.  Why don't people say, "next to the tree?"  

I spent at least an hour or more decorating the kid's rooms for Christmas today.  Each room (two of them) has a tree and I string lights around the room as well.  After doing Hannah's and having a hard time with it I plugged in the lights and guess what?  They didn't come on.  Ugh!!!  Why didn't I check first?  So, I had to take it down and redo it, this time with lights that had been checked and got it all plugged in and a whole half a section did not light up.  I was not happy--So, I grabbed another string and literally threw them on the tree and tucked them in.  Then on to Grace and Joe's room.  You guessed it--get it all done and plug it in and half a strand isn't coming on.  I had checked these too.  I was beyond done at that point and their's will just not be completely lit.  On a side note, while I was being so nice doing this for my kid's to make their Christmas so special and all that garbage--I was in a horrible mood and pretty much growled or yelled at anyone who got in my way.  Next year, I think I'll skip the decorating and just spend some quality time with them instead.  I truly don't think it was worth the effort.  Could someone remind of this during the first week of December next year?  

Tonight is our town's annual "Christmas Walk," it's easily my favorite event of the season.  We get to walk around town and be entertained by music, a juggler, bagpipes, and even some elderly cloggers.  We see pretty much everyone we know and wrap up the evening hanging out in the park while the kids run wild with a million other kids.  

Marissa update--I talked with her yesterday, they made it to their new home safely and the movers had arrived with all their stuff.  It's freezing but the mountains are beautiful and the kids love the house.

Well, I better go do the dishes--they are last night's dishes that never did get done because I was way too tired.

3 comments:

Ingle Nook said...

Elderly Cloggers...too funny!

Cheryl said...

I can just imagine how lovely things are around there all lit up for the holidays after visiting just once!

I'm really strange about decorating for Christmas. I sometimes wish I were more spirited about it but then when I do get to going, I get all wierd and drive everyone crazy so I go back to being blase about it to maintain peace!

Lori said...

I think I've always said "under the tree". Now it just doesn't seem right. Thanks:)