Friday, December 12, 2008

Random thoughts on a Friday night when I should just go to bed...

The whole house is quiet.  Ollie and I had a "date" to watch a movie but he laid down with Joe after the pj crisis (more on that in a minute)  and I think he fell asleep.  A very nice neighbor gave me two trash bags full of clothes for Joe last week.  I finally got around to looking in them--wow!  She gave him some really nice clothes.  Only one problem, Joe's latest thing is that he doesn't want to wear anything new.  I recently found some winter clothes for him that I had put away last year and he refuses to wear them.  Anyway, he could really use some new pjs, some warm pjs and there were three pair in these bags.  Nice ones--warm, fleecy, flannely, Carter's pjs.  I was thrilled.  Joe--not so much.  He had a fit when I insisted that he wear a pair.  So, Ollie took him to the bedroom to have a talk.  Ollie gets Joe because Joe is just like Ollie was as a kid.  Many of the same things that bothered Ollie, bother Joe.  Well, the talk must have turned into bedtime and Joe is sleeping in the pjs so if we're lucky that issue is over.  Once a month for a few days I go into hyper productive mode.  It's most definitely hormonal and I LOVE it.  I LOVE being productive but often can't keep up with my own self and all my ideas, to do lists, and ambitions.  So, these few days each month give me an opportunity to knock out any things I haven't felt like tackling.  Tasks that seemed overwhelming before I just jump right into and finish.  Today, I entered that mode--I made tons of pretzel treats (recipe to come later), wrapped presents, packed and mailed 4 packages, finished a 550 piece puzzle that Hannah and I started last night, watched a movie with the kids, and then to top off our night--I did almost two weeks worth of My Father's World with the girls.  They were loving it let me tell you.  We flew through Canada with our hair on fire (a southern expression for doing something really fast).  Thankfully, My Father's World adheres to the Charlotte Mason idea that lessons should be short but meaty.  I read for an hour or more, we colored maps, and looked at maps and pictures of Canada.  We learned all we are going to learn about Canada!  That monkey is officially off my back.  Whenever I get it in my head that I just have to do something--like finish North America before Christmas--it hangs over my head until I do it.  I literally wake up everyday thinking, I've got to fit that in today.  Unfortunately, this week I just couldn't pull it together to get it done.  Too many other things to think about and take care of.  Tonight, Ollie was going to be playing a video game with Joe so I cornered the girls and it's done.  I feel free.  Almost giddy.  Another thing about these hormonal-over-productive days--I find it hard to slow down to go to bed.  I will probably be up until midnight.  A movie would have been nice....

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

can you can that and sell it I wonder??

Unknown said...

Can you now come to my house? I need some extra energy!