We just got back from a taco party at a friend's house. I had my taco, tacoless. Meat and salsa and lettuce and tomato isn't too bad. I got on my computer with the intention of e-mailing some people back and haven't the brain power so I thought I'd blog instead. If you are waiting on an e-mail from me--tomorrow, for sure. I'm so far behind on so much. I feel a teacher work day coming on tomorrow. We will probably just do the very basics--reading and math and then I will have a work day and I'm thinking I'll plant the kids in front of the tv so they don't interfere with my work or mess things up as fast as I can clean them. They haven't watched tv in over a week (except for a couple of hours Saturday morning) so I don't think it will hurt. I know, I know, I should have them work alongside me but honestly when I'm feeling this behind I just want to work alone. The house isn't even that dirty it's mostly paperwork and organization that needs to be done.
Does anyone get the TV guide magazine? There is an interview with Simon Cowell in the latest one that I'm interested in reading but I am not going to buy it just to read that article. The front page said he was leaving American Idol. What is Idol without Simon? He's the guy everyone says they hate but his opinion is valued much more highly than anyone else's. I like the guy.
I've been reading a great book of essays by Elisabeth Elliott compiled in a book called, "Keep a Quiet Heart," (It drives me crazy to put a book title in quotes when I know is should be underlined but blogger doesn't give me the underline option, just sayin'). I'm reading two or three each morning and they have really spoken to me right where I am at. Elisabeth doesn't mince words and she can be a little tough but I just love her. Today's essay was about suffering and waiting for God to answer our prayers and give us what we want most. We tend to want what we want right away and are stubborn and unwilling to accept that we must suffer for a time. One quote that really stuck out for me was this, "The wilderness experience leads to the Promised Land." She went on to talk about suffering and how God uses suffering to bring us closer to Him. How we can be so stubborn in resisting this time of suffering, not realizing the refining power of suffering. She ended with this, "If we reject this cross, we will not find it in this world again. Here is the opportunity offered. Be patient. Wait on the Lord for whatever He appoints, wait quietly, wait trustingly. He holds every minute of every hour of every day of every week of every month of every year in His hands. Thank Him in advance for what the future holds, for He is already there. Lord you have assigned my portion and my cup. Shall we not gladly say, 'I'll take it, Lord! YES! I'll trust you for everything. Bless the Lord, O my soul!'" It is true that during this time of dealing with health issues I have drawn closer to God and "rejoiced" in my weaknesses. Before this I was getting too busy and drifting away from regular quiet times and from relying on God's strength. I believe that a key component of healing my body is for me to calm down and eliminate stress from my life. Only God can help me do that.
8 comments:
You hit on so many key components in your reading of Elisabeth Elliott - in God's time, in God's way...so easy to say, so much harder to do. Wait and trust, and be assured of his leading and the outcome.
If this life on earth were easy, heaven wouldn't look as grand!
I love that book! It's just - wow- on every page. I hope you have a very productive teacher work day!
I think the idea of reducing the stress in your life is a good idea. Less is more and that would give you the chance to simplify.
I am glad you are enjoying the book.
The quote from Elisabeth Elliot reminded me of the CCOTL message I was just listening to- John 14:25-31 "I Leave with You...". It is all about God's help and peace and all the other gifts He "left to us" in His "will".
Also, Simon- I read most of that article in the grocery store. I have a bad habit of picking up a magazine at the beginning of my grocery trip (when I am alone) and reading the usually one article in the whole thing that I am interested in while i shop. OR I will find the LONGEST check-out line and read it while I am waiting which is what I did with that article. His contract ends in 2010 and he didn't really say what he was planning only that he thinks changing things up makes for a better show.
oh and- sometimes the wilderness experience doesn't lead to a promised land here on earth, esp if we are disobedient or keep our eyes on our problems instead of God's promises (that's partially from another recent teaching of Doug's). But still, thinking of disobedient Moses and the whiny, self-absorbed Israelites- they never saw the promised land here on earth because they took their eyes off of Him and His promises and His faithfulness to His promises.
I like Simon too.
I've been getting devotionals By Elizabeth Elliott through Back to the Bible since January. I can't tell you how many mornings her words have been just what I needed. She is tough, but speaks the truth. If anyone knows about suffering, she does.
I just finished listening to the audio book of Through the Gates of Splendor (If you are a fan of homeschooling on Facebook, they have a free download of the book this week). The epilogue was the best part of the whole book. She talks about trusting God whether we see the results of our suffering or not.
This post is one reason I read you blog. I love the day to day stuff, don't get me wrong, but it was your day to speak to me. Thank you.
I love Simon, too. He is harsh, but I think that's to let them know what the winner is in for.
And now I have a new book to read.
Cristy
Post a Comment