Monday, May 25, 2009

Patch Shorts Tutorial

It's ten til' one in the morning--told you I'd be burning the midnight oil. I am just starting to get tired but I don't think I could sleep yet so I may as well blog right? I have had plans to make these patch shorts for two weeks now and at 10:45 tonight I decided to tackle them. I also decided to take pictures along the way so that I could do a tutorial here on the blog. Aren't you happy? I must give a disclaimer here--I am NOT a perfectionist. Not even close. I will not be able to give exact measurements in this tutorial because I didn't do much measuring. This is one of those sewing crafts that you just fudge your way through.
This is what you need--an old pair of jeans or shorts--too small or too big is best. These cheapo jeans from Target work great since I've bought multiple pairs the last two years and EVERY pair has a big hole in the knee or knees. You also need some fabric scraps and it helps to have a rotary cutter but not necessary.
First of all decide how big you want your fabric pieces. You are going to make strips that you will then put in the seams of your shorts. For the first pair that I did I made 2 in. by 2 in. blocks. They were pretty small but I thought that would give the best look in the end. For the patch shorts I made for myself last year I think my blocks were 3 by 3. For the pair I made after this pair I made 2 by 4 rectangles. You decide what you want here. Cut out your pieces and then sew them into strips. Again I didn't measure but made them to be a little longer than the shorts they were going into. You'll need two strips of approximately equal length. Iron them when you are done sewing them.

Now it's time to disassemble your shorts. Cut right up the seam on the side and right back down and take out that whole seam. About an inch's worth of the denim. If you are making a pair of shorts that are too small for you bigger, don't cut as much out of the waistline, if you are trying to make a pair that are too big for you smaller, cut more--make sense? When you are done with both sides your shorts (or jeans) will be connected only through the crotch.

Now we sew. Take your strip and line it up right sides together and sew. Then turn the shorts inside out and sew down the other side. If your strip is too short, trim the shorts, if your strip is too long, trim the strip. Simple as that! Then do the other side and wala--you have a pair of patch shorts. I fringed the bottoms on these two pair. I had thought about doing some sort of ruffle but didn't feel like dealing with it.

And here are the two pair I made in about an hour and a half. The second pair was faster because I had longer fabric pieces so I didn't have to do much sewing on that part. I love both pairs! I love the batiked circles and the other one is frogs. I can't wait for Gracie to wake up and see them (and try them on...). My next project will be revamping my favorite denim skirt that is now too big. It was actually a little big on me when I bought it but I've since lost 20 pounds. I hate to give it up so I'm going to fix it I hope. I've got some great tan, brown, and navy blue corduroy. I'll post pics when I get it done. I'm not putting my sewing machine away until I do!

5 comments:

Julie said...

So cute! (I'm up in the middle of the night checking blogs--2:31am)

BeckyJoie said...

How adorable and informative. I just printed it out. I'm always grateful for ways to make old things new again. I love that-they are so cute. Ok, enough gushing.

By the way, have you tried the Passion Flower herb yet for sleep? I don't take it often because I like being up-it's my only time to write. But if I want to sleep and can't, PFH is the best of the non-pharmaceutical type. :>) Blessings!

nrenick said...

I am so impressed! I could never ever do that. What a talent God has blessed you with!

Cristy said...

It's things like this that really make me wish I had let my mom teach me to sew. That is the cutest thing ever and if you feel the need to do more, call me. I'll bring all the stuff, and you can sew your little heart out. You are so creative.

Cristy

ExploreColorado said...

What a cute idea!!!