Monday, May 25, 2009

A Simple Woman's Daybook



A Simple Woman's Daybook for today...May 25, 2009
Outside my window...it's starting to get cloudy, I think we might get some rain this evening. I'm doing this daybook a lot later than I usually do.
I am thinking...about the history of fashion. Grace and Joe and I were working on their "Life in a Tidepool" project that they are presenting at our annual Homeschool Exhibition and Hannah decided that she wanted to have a special project of her own to present. Her original plan was to give a short talk about Norway using her display board--easy since it's already done! But now she has changed her mind and I am trying to be supportive and help her out since she rarely shows initiative in stuff like this. I've put some books on hold at the library and that's as far as we've gotten but my brain is in fashion world and trying to help her think of something doable that she can finish this week.
I am thankful for...the men and women who have willingly gone to war and risked and lost their lives for the sake of our country.
From the kitchen...I made a great salad for lunch--chicken cooked with taco seasoning on a bed of romaine lettuce with black beans and corn and oil and vinegar dressing. It was really good. The girls are making pancakes for dinner. As far as the rest of the week goes...um, my focus is completely on homeschooling this week. Do you think we can skip dinners for the week?
From the learning rooms...we are wrapping up various things this week before we take a 6 week break. I had fully intended to school all summer until I looked at our calendar. So, the decision was made a week ago to put the pedal to the medal and fly through some things. My goals...Grace and Joe to finish their math workbooks, Hannah to plow through another two weeks of My Father's World (China) and two lessons of Wordly Wise, finish our study of invertebrates with Grace and Joe, finish reading the biography of Amy Carmichael, and that's about it I think. Oh yeah and help Hannah with her fashion project.
I'm creating...patch shorts and a patch skirt (see previous blog post)
I am wearing...my new favorite denim shorts and my favorite t-shirt--it's brown with the Trix rabbit on it.
I am reading...In the Beginning by Chaim Potok (it's slow but I'm enjoying it), Teach Your Child to Read Using Children's Books, and Nourishing Traditions. I'm not super into any of the three which is why it is taking me forever. I need a good Jodi Picoult book! Too bad I've read them all.
I am hoping...for continued healing for my arthritis and for wisdom as to what foods I may be allergic to. I'm strongly suspecting but in denial that I may have become allergic to dairy. My hands had been feeling better until I got some raw milk last week and have been drinking it a lot. I'm cutting dairy out again and seeing if my hands start feeling better.
I am hearing...a computer game that Joe is playing.
Around the house...it's so-so. Not as bad as it could be but not as good as it could be either. It looks lived in by a creative, busy family. That's not all bad is it?
One of my favorite things...chocolate--haven't had any for almost a month. I was seriously craving it yesterday!
I am going...to be making Hannah a pair of patch shorts here shortly. She probably will decide she doesn't like them and will never wear them but thankfully she and Grace are the same size and I can always count on Grace to wear whatever.
A few plans for the rest of the week...stay close to home and school like crazy except for tomorrow when we go to the park and to theatre. I'm also hoping to get the house cleaned up pretty well since we have a guest arriving a week from tomorrow.
A picture thought I'm sharing...I love this picture of Grace at a splash park at Citywalk in Orlando! She was soaked and then got to ride all the way home wet.
If you want to participate in the daybook...see Peggy, here.

10 comments:

Cindy said...

live-in is definitely not bad! Have a good week!

LISA said...

Great Picture!
I like your shorts and the fact that when my girls don't want to give up a favorite pair of too tight jeans, this would enlarge them and make them last just a little while longer.
Thanks for the tip.

janjanmom said...

I enjoyed reading about another person's day. Nice to 'meet' you.

Bonita said...

That picture is perfect for the beginning of summer! Fun days ahead!

Your salad made my mouth water.

I hadn't thought about the Trix rabbit in a long time. I bet that's a really cute shirt.

A happy heart at home said...

Your salad sounds great! No chocolate for a month? Wow. I should do that. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (had symptoms for 25 years), so I understand dealing with pain. I hope you find relief from your pain. Cute pic!

~Susan

domestic.blizz said...

What a fun photo. Nothing like a little water play to cool off and unwind. Hope that you enjoy a great week and you manage to get all the school work completed.

Sarah said...

Enjoyed your daybook as usual! Sounds like you are going to plow through some school this week - hope you can stay focused and are successful!

Jenelle said...

Great picture thought and fun! I enjoyed reading your daybook. Come and visit me sometime. :)

Elaine said...

You've gone a month w/o chocolate!! The most I've ever done is 3 weeks and that was a long time ago. =)

The shorts sound cute. All the best in the last push for school.

Elaine H
http://akhmmm.wordpress.com

Tara said...

I have been to City Walk for my birthday with sil. That is a really good picture.
Thank you for the read.