So, this is our "summer reading program." I read a comment on someone else's blog that they did something like this but I couldn't find the details so I had to think for myself. I hate when I have to do that. I am the queen of stolen ideas. Anyway, back to reading bingo. Each child has a bingo card and they are all different based on their abilities. Hannah's only has 9 squares, Grace's 36, and Joe's 25. Each square represents one book that they have read. On each of their cards I have filled in some of the squares with books I want them to read and they get to choose the books for the empty squares. When they get "bingo" by finishing a line across, down, or diagonally they get to pick a prize out of the jar. Prizes are written on little pieces of paper and mostly include free things although there are some cheap things in there too.
Here's a list of what I can remember that I put in there:
- bake cookies
- choose dinner
- milkshakes after dinner
- bowling
- pick a DVD from the red box at Wal-mart
- game time with Mom
- $2 and a trip to the dollar store
- a pack of gum
- pedicure by mom
- go to a local hang out and have lemonade and play games (bring our own)
- swim at a friend's
- help mom with dinner
- do a science experiment
- go skating
I could use some more ideas if you have any. One fun thing will be that the other kids have the possibility to benefit from one getting bingo. Like if Hannah gets bingo and chooses bowling then we will all go bowling. Once everyone completely fills their card we will all go to Friendly's for lunch and ice cream. So far this has really motivated my kids to read like crazy. Joe has read "Green Eggs and Ham," "Go, Dog, Go," and 2 of his easy readers. After all of my struggles with Grace I am just blown away with how easily Joe is able to read. Grace is doing great too. It has totally "clicked" for her and she is reading and enjoying it and is so excited that she can do it. She has read "Mouse Tales," and is on her second "Little Bear" story. It is still not easy for her, she doesn't fly through these books but works her way through the stories and hardly gets stuck on a word anymore. I am soooo thankful and thrilled! Hannah is more than halfway through "A Little Princess" and still tells me she doesn't like it. She doesn't like stories about kids who are perfect all the time she says. Oh well, I'm hoping that in the end she will love the book just like practically every young girl and be thankful that I made her read it. We'll see...
Next week things get busy and stay busy for a while so the reading may taper off but they are getting a good start on their bingo cards. My intent is for this to last all summer and I'm hoping the kids will stay motivated.
6 comments:
great idea! I wish Bingo worked for a 15 year old!
Oh, I like this idea. I may get some cards made up today. Great thinking!
I like your rewards, too. A big thing around here is to be given money to buy their very own candy bar - I can count the number of times that has happened, so it is still special. Or, maybe they could choose to accumulate points in lieu of a prize from the jar, and the points can go towards a new book purchase?
A 15 year old could get into it if the prizes were right--money??
Sarah--I love the idea for $ for a candy bar. We are within walking distance of a convenience store so the walk there could be part of the prize.
kidsbowlfree.com
On the chatboard, someone said they bought the family pass for
$23. But sign the kids up and get so many free games per day or something like that. Bowling could be pretty cheap that way.
I really like this idea. I may have to borrow it from you ;)
Hey Cristy--I just signed my kids up to bowl free and bought the family pass. I thought it would be a fun, air-conditioned activity that we would all enjoy! Maybe we could plan a day to go.
We would love that. We're not very good, but we enjoy the heck out of it.
Post a Comment