Here are a couple of recipes that I have talked about.
Spicy Lentils (dal)
1 cup whole brown lentils
4 cups water
salt, to taste
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
2 medium onions
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional--I leave it out b/c it makes it too spicy for my kids)
1 large tomato or a can of diced tomatoes
Wash the lentils, plance them and the water in a large pot. Let them soak for an hour. Add salt and turmeric, cook covered over low heat until tender 30 minutes to an hour.
Meanwhile, chop the onions and garlic finely. In a small skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the cumin and once the spices darken add chopped onions and garlic and cook until browned. Add the coriander, cayenne, tomato; cook until the tomato is soft (about 5 minutes). When the lentils are cooked, add the tomato-onion mixture, stir, and cook for another 5 minutes.
Green Curry Fish
1 tsp. green curry paste (more or less depending on how spicy you want it)--this can be found in the ethnic section at the grocery store, it's a tiny little jar
about 2 Tbsp. oil (the recipe calls for sesame but I use coconut or vegetable)
2 red onions, finely chopped
2 pounds of any kind of white fish, cut into small cubes-- We've made it with whiting and with Hoki (sold in Wal-mart in the frozen section)
1 2/3 c. coconut milk
3 Tbsp. fish sauce
2 oz. cilantro, fresh mint, and fresh basil
Heat the oil and stir in the curry paste, add the onions and saute until soft. Add coconut milk and fish sauce and fish and simmer until the fish is done, about 5-7 minutes. Add the fresh herbs and serve.
8 comments:
They both sound delicious to me, but I'm thinking Dad wouldn't touch either one!! Thanks for sharing, I hope to try some when I visit.
Love you,
Mom
I am really interested in the lentils. We have decided to limit the amount of processed foods we eat, but we definitly don't eat enough beans, lentils, and legumes. And you always have the best stuff for dinner. I read your blog and drool. Thanks for this one.
Cristy
I think you have inspired me to broaden my recipe book. I think I should try the lentils. I agree with Cristy, we don't eat enough beans, lentils and legumes.
Can you post the recipe for the cabbage? My kids loved everything they ate the other night.
Sounds really yummy. Which book was this from? NT or Great Phys. RX? Or your creative brain?
Hey Stephanie--I will post the cabbage recipe later this weekend. I'm glad your kids liked it!
BeckyJoie--the dal recipe is from an Indian cookbook that we've had for years and is now falling apart! The fish curry is a recipe I found while looking for a Hoki recipe. I am not creative in the kitchen but I do enjoy trying new recipes.
Lovin the spicy lentils! I cooked them today and used organic blue corn chips and dipped them in the lentils!! Whoo hoo!!
Tonight I will mix with rice and chicken. Can you tell Dad is not here!!
Mmm! I love indian food!!
Post a Comment