Saturday, March 22, 2008

Egg Hunts and Egg Dyeing






I know that Easter is not about egg hunts and dyeing eggs and bunnies but it is hard to not do some of that.  So, we have done our "egg" stuff today and the kids have had fun.  We've also read the Easter Story and talked about the significance of Easter.  I was reading on another blog about this one family's Easter traditions.  They did some interesting things that I might try to incorporate next year.  Especially as my kids get older I'd like to really focus on the REAL reason that we celebrate.  We do the Resurrection eggs, read the story from the Bible but that's about it.  Any ideas from any of you out there?  I'd love to hear some things other families do.  I've heard of those cookies where each ingredient has a meaning and then you put the cookies in the oven overnight and the next morning they are hollow.  We've never tried it though.  We did do something a few years ago that was just too corny--You use crescent rolls, sugar, melted butter, and big marshmallows.  You take a big marshmallow and roll it in the melted butter, dip in sugar, and roll it up in the crescent roll and then bake it.  When it is done, the marshmallow has "disappeared" and you have a hollow, sweet roll.  It was fun to do and quite tasty but what was corny was that the marshmallow was supposed to represent Jesus and the butter and sugar were the anointing oils and spices.  That's just not right to liken Jesus to a marshmallow.   
Happy Resurrection Day to everyone!  Please take a minute to tell me what your family does to focus on the "reason for the season."

1 comment:

crispy said...

Due to our busy year, I feel like every holiday has gotten pushed aside. But I have the desire to do a full passover meal with my kids. My sister did it this year and she said it was really neat.

I didn't even do the baskets this year. My MIL did and the kids are thrilled with them. They did the eggs with the kids too.

Above all, the best has been our precepts study in John and we have been blessed to have the crucifiction and resurrection lessons just at the right time. I know that my kids understand what it all means.