Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wordful and Pictureful Wednesday

Wednesdays are the only day of the week that we have absolutely no commitments. I guess that's why my Wednesdays are "Wordful" because I have time to think and time to blog. This one is bound to be a really long post, I just went through my recent photos and found a lot that I hadn't shared yet. Of course, I have to share everything whether I think you want to hear it or not. So, first of all, below is the fabulous patch skirt I made. I absolutely love it, just one problem...I got a little overambitious with how much I cut out and now it doesn't fit. I probably have to lose about 5-10 more pounds just to fit my fat butt in it. I am terribly disappointed but I can't think of any way to fix it so I guess there is some motivation to lose 10 more pounds. I don't know if I can do it though. If, in a year, I still can't fit into this skirt I'll give it to one of you skinny people. I would imagine it's about a size 8.
I love this picture of Joe and some friends--they chose to play in the rain instead of staying dry inside. We don't get to play in the rain much in FL because our rain is usually accompanied by lightning so this was a special treat.
Remember this little girl? After 5 months in Cincinatti for a cord blood transplant Bella is finally home! Praise God! He has brought her through some tough times.
We had a BIG SCARE with these sweet rabbits yesterday morning. Hannah went out to feed them and ran in screaming that the cage was open and the bunnies were gone. We seriously panicked, then prayed, and started scouring the yard. I really figured they were long gone or possibly been killed by some wild animal. We have owls, hawks, dogs, etc. Hannah found Chloe first right by the front door and in the bushes. I looked through the rest of the front bushes and didn't see Rosie but a few minutes later Hannah found Rosie a little further down in those same bushes. It was such a blessing for my kids to see their prayers answered and to give God the glory. I think that the door of the cage didn't get latched even though it looked closed. That door (there are three) had swelled during all the rain last week and had been hard to open.
I know this looks like your average bookcase but you know what it really is? Grace and Joe's science and history curriculum for next year. I had planned to do My Father's World Adventures with them but then decided that might be too much and Joe is a little young for it. It hit me while looking for something on this shelf that if we spent the whole year working our way through all of these books they would learn a ton! And, if one of the topics really strikes their interest we can sit on it for a while and do a lapbook or something. I also have quite a few science kits that we will work through as well as a few more Evan Moor science unit studies. There are TONS of good history picture books that we can read. I'm excited about their eclectic school year. I know they will really enjoy it and learn a lot. I am thinking that after next year I can start schooling them all together in My Father's World. Maybe adding them in with Hannah or maybe starting them in ECC. We'll see.
During our week of rain my kids went fort building crazy. Have you ever noticed that with forts the fun is all in the building. Once it's built it's not nearly as exciting.
Here's Hannah's costume for her High School Musical 2 show next week. She is playing Kelsey--the artsy music girl. I love her costume.
Congratulations to Jayce and Matt! Here's the happy couple.
I took Hannah with me to the wedding and she and Hannah S. had so much fun together.
They danced all night long! I love this action shot. I have some great video too, I'll get to that eventually.
Here is Joe's picture for his and Grace's presentation at our Homeschool Exhibition next weekend. He had so much fun making this and is very proud of himself. He wanted to take it to the park yesterday. Gracie made one too but I haven't taken a picture of it yet. We wrap up their study of Invertebrates on Friday. They have really learned a lot and have gotten really interested in animals without backbones. They both love this kind of thing and it makes it fun to teach them.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Gotta love all the pictures and the snapshot into your life. I totally agree about building those forts...once they're up, it seems they lose interest and then we just have a mess... :)

Oh, well. That's life with kids, and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Randi Sue said...

Fun catching up with all your pictures.

Cheryl said...

I love eclectic homeschooling... that's what we did until we signed on with Florida Virtual School.

Great catch up post!

crispy said...

I always love your school enthusiasm. You often inspire me.

Julie said...

I love this kind of post...great pictures! Madi and I plan to copy your shorts idea soon. Too bad about the skirt...the way you're going though it'll fit you in no time!

Leisa said...

cut out a strip in the back and add another patch ;)

Smith Schoolhouse said...

this post has lit my fire to use what we have on the bookshelf! I am sick of organized school and am looking forward to an eclectic summer!