Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Diet Update
Well, I made it two weeks with my diet and was totally prepared to continue but I've seen a doctor (sort of) and decided that it really isn't worth the effort. The chances of improving just based on that are slim. Caryn's husband is a Physician's Assistant and he gave me some of his time last night. He looked at my fat finger and we talked about all the other things that are going on that make me think my body is inflamed. My finger is almost definitely psoriatic arthritis. He had a book on Dermatology that said that when you have psoriasis you have about an 80% chance of developing psoriatic arthritis which mostly affects your fingers and toes. So, my plan of action now is to deal with the inflammation with ibuprofen for a few days. He said that inflammation like my swollen finger is like a smoldering fire. It takes a long time to burn itself out and it's not good for your body to simmer like that. I am also going to continue eating healthily and eating less in an effort to lose some weight. I will be eating lots of fruits and vegetables as well as taking fish oil as a supplement. I am going to make a serious effort to lose weight so I will still be mostly following my anti-inflammatory diet because it is a healthy way to eat but I will not be so strict about it. I am hoping to add exercise to my life, something more than just the walk to pick up Joe and to theatre. We'll see. So, I sampled the cupcakes today--just a bite and they were pretty good. I actually haven't missed the sugar as much as I thought I would. I think I can do this and will hopefully feel better as a result.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Sorry I missed your call!! I'm glad you got some good advice! Hope improvement happens soon!
I'm glad the taste of the cupcake didn't make you sick like Joe! Miss you guys a ton! The Walk Away the Pounds tapes (DVD's) are great! Pretty easy but a great workout. You could do that while the kids work on something homeschool like- 30 minutes for 2 miles! Have fun at the Star Wars store!
Have you tried the arthritis B. C for the inflamation? When Dick had a tooth ache, that was all that would help.
No Gout? I would a put money on it! I hope you and your finger feel better soon!
Good for you with making an effort in your diet. Sorry the anti-sugar thing didn't work.
On the exercise thing...I have started running. I am trying to do the couch to 5 K program. The idea is that you do a combo of running and walking.
Sorry to hear that you've been having pain. But glad that it wasn't gout. My dad has that and my heart goes out to him. :o(
I'm a firm believer that eating in moderation is the best thing to do. Going cold turkey and cutting out things can't possibly be good. But, that is just my opinion. :o) I have to say though, look at what people use to eat and they lived a lot longer than what they do now.
Oh no, I better hush. This might start something. ;o)
Post a Comment