Sunday, February 24, 2008

Weekend Stuff

Well, we've managed to have a quiet weekend around here.  I slept in until 9 am on Saturday and didn't manage to get out of bed until 11.  I was really into a book and just had to finish.  It is called "Keeping Faith" by Jodi Picoult.  Great book.  I must add that it was pouring the whole two hours.  My favorite thing to do when it is raining is to lay around and read so I'd say that was a great start to my weekend.  

I got some grocery shopping done.  I've lost my enthusiasm for this anti-inflammatory diet so it was hard to come up with a menu this week.  So far I have felt no different and see no improvement.  It has only been two weeks though but it is a pretty extreme change from my usual diet.  Actually, I have noticed that I have much more energy overall and don't have that late afternoon crash.  So, that's good.  I'm reading a new book--one of the Zone books for inflammation.  It seems to make a lot of sense and not too hard to follow.  I need to finish the book before I make any decisions.  They do guarantee that you will feel better in 30 days or less.  So, it may be worth giving it a shot.  It's all about balancing your carbs and protein.  I really do not enjoy putting this much thought into what I eat but if it makes me feel better I'll go for it.

I played "Life" with all three kids.  That was fun, a little crazy but fun nonetheless.  I made Hannah play by the real rules.  It seems she's come up with her own "house rules."  One of which is that she is always the doctor--the highest paying career you can get.  I nipped that little rule in the bud.  She started in a fairly low paying job but managed to have a good attitude.  She made the good choice to go back to college and ended up getting a much better job.  I got to be the doctor--:0).  It was totally fair though.  In the end she managed to win.  She has learned about investing from her Uncle Billy and she bought up all the numbers at $10,000 each and then everytime we spun she got $5,000.  

Today has been a day of errands and rest.  The kids watched old home videos from when Grace was a toddler.  Man those were the days.  Life seemed much simpler.  Now we have homeschooling, preschool, activities, and a busier life in general.  I would love to go back and just relive a day every once in a while.  I guess I kind of did that today watching the videos.  As much as I miss having little ones I also love the ages my kids are at.  As a kid and teen I loved babies, toddlers, and preschoolers.  I loved babysitting them but didn't really care much for the older kids.  I worried that I wouldn't enjoy my own kids as they left the little stage.  Of course, that hasn't been true.  It is such a joy to see them grow up and change and become their own little people with their own ideas, interests, likes, and dislikes.  I love spending my days with them (most of the time) and just living life with them.  

How was your weekend?

3 comments:

5Gustos said...

Know what? I thought you hadn't posted in a couple weeks, but I had the wrong page (a spec. post) bookmarked!! I've been noticing my kids growing up lately, too, and it's bittersweet, isn't it? As for my weekend, well, H & C both have 104 temps. that are stubborn and not wanting to come down with ibuprofen and tylenol. Still hoping hubby and B don't get it too. I wish you very good results with your anti-inflam. diet. Hang in there!! I want you to feel better.

Julie said...

Sounds like a nice relaxing weekend! We've recently been watching old home videos too.

crispy said...

How was our weekend??? Full of house projects as always. We worked in the yard, cut down branches, cleaned a bunny hutch, took the girls to the Lowes workshop, started redoing the hall bath, tried to trap a mole...you know...just the usual.

As for the girls growing up, I am personally struggling with having them grow up too fast. It is a blessing, but I miss when they were little. Their childhood is flying by. =(