Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Valentine's Day is Overrated


I am so not into Valentine's day this year.  Thankfully, Ollie isn't either.  We aren't big gift givers so we have never exchanged gifts for Valentine's.  We usually make dinner and have a nice dessert.  This year for dessert I think I will make carrots.  That would fit into my new diet plan.  We could have some ranch dressing to go with them.  Yum!  This year with neither of us really into this we aren't even doing a special dinner.  We have been getting the kids small Valentine's gifts since Hannah was a toddler but we are trying to phase that out this year.  Our plan instead is to have a card making session.   We will get out the construction paper, crayons, scissors, and glue and make cards for each other.  I love this idea (not mine--Ollie's).  We will be spending time together and making something meaningful.  It should be fun to see what we all come up with.  And, maybe I will find it somewhere in my itty bitty heart to make them a dessert that does not involve a vegetable.  

Our other big plans for Valentine's day is to go to a local nursing home with our homeschool group and pass out Valentines there.  We did this last year and it was really a blessing to us and them.  Unfortunately Grace had a bad experience.  She went to give this one lady a Valentine and the woman yelled, "I don't want no Valentine!" and threw the Valentine back at Grace.  I was right there and quickly came to Grace's rescue so she wasn't too traumatized.  The picture I've posted in this blog is the woman right before blasting Grace.  It was actually really funny.  So, Grace may be a little hesitant tomorrow.  

7 comments:

crispy said...

Poor thing. That would freak my kids out.

Hope your Valentine's Day has a little less drama than last year.

=)

Cris

DebiH. said...

I have had to assure Abby many times that we are going to a different nursing home this year and the lady that yelled at Grace will not be there. That's what she remembers most about the whole experience :(
I'm hoping today has lots of smiles so that she will quit worrying about "the lady that yelled at Grace" :)

Julie said...

How abour fruit for dessert? That's a little more Valentine-y than a vegaetable.

Elizabeth said...

Poor Gracie... Hope it's better for her this year. ;0)

What a blessing you all are to these people who really need the attention.

Elizabeth said...

Tag, You're it.

crispy said...

No freaky moments this year. It's all good.

Thanks for putting this together. Loved it.

-cris

Ingle Nook said...

That picture made me laugh all over again!