





I took time out this morning from our regular school time to do nature study. I usually try to get the academics done first and then plan to do the extras. On a day like today that would mean that the extra stuff just wouldn't happen. I am pretty good about getting the academics done no matter what so I know that I will make time for those things later. So, we worked on Green Hour Challenges #'s 2 and 3. I am behind and want to catch up so I combined them. Now, I'm up to speed. We went on a nature walk through our yard and down the street and into a big field. We did this almost silently and focused on listening and looking and collecting (flowers of course). I wonder what boys collect--if they are like Joe it would be sticks. After our walk we sat at the picnic table and talked about words to describe what we say, what we heard, and what we felt. This was harder than it sounds. I wanted to inspire them to use really descriptive, unique words but I totally failed. We came up with pretty, soft, sticky, hairy, and so on. I think I need a thesaurus or list of adjectives to help us. Words are really not my thing. After describing everything they wrote a short summary of their nature walk. I wrote Grace's for her as she's not at that point yet. Then instead of drawing they opted to tape flowers in their notebooks. We'll do some drawing later. We made one fun discovery in our yard--we've got a new crop of jaboticabas. What are jaboticabas you say? See the picture above--they are small, round fruits that look like a purple muscadine. They grow directly on the trunk of the tree. They are white and fleshy on the inside with little seeds. They are not easy to eat--the skin is thick and not good, the fleshy part really adheres to the seeds so that by the time you've avoided the skin and seeds you just get about 1/4 tsp. of sweet fruit. I also got a good look at the other half of the yard that is blocked from view by trees and saw even more mess that in my opinion should be cleared out. I am not even going to think about that yet though. One thing at a time...
5 comments:
Tiffany,
Great job on the walk and the nature journals....I am glad you didn't give up on the words. They will come as you go out more and more. Maybe you could elaborate on a word like soft by making it a simile....soft like a _____ or hairy as a __________. Just an idea.
The weather looks perfect for nature study. The fruits sound interesting...I am not familiar with either the jaboticabas or muscadines. No fair. :)
Thanks for linking and we look forward to your next post.
Barb-Harmony Art Mom
What a beautiful day for a Nature walk. Everyone looks like outside school is the way to do school!
Great description of your nature study day. With the pictures you posted, I almost felt like I was there too. Did I miss how your "j" fruit tastes? Is it worth all the trouble for the 1/4 tsp. inside?
What a wonderful post! I am so jealous of your weather! 2 weeks ago the kids tried to do school outside because it was sunny, but they quickly ran in and got their coats on, zipped them up and put their hoods on as well. It was cooolllld out there. LOL
Your day sounded perfect. I love the pictures!
~Tina
We spent the afternoon outside yesterday doing a letterbox hunt. It turned into an opportunity to find animal tracks. It was so neat. Deer, bobcat/panther and even bear. WOW!!
Then the girls started talking about the different animals and the food chain. I never meant it to be a school thing, it just went there on its own.
Post a Comment