Thursday, February 21, 2008

Creativity in the Kitchen or Fun With Flaxseed


On my new anti-inflammatory diet I am supposed to have a lot of Omega-3.  That can be found in fish, walnuts, and flaxseed (in other things as well but those are the biggies).  I bought some flaxseed at the store and have been grinding it in my coffee grinder and adding it to all sorts of things.  It doesn't have a strong taste so you can sneak it into lots of things.  I've added it to smoothies, pancakes, sprinkled it in a casserole, you get the picture.  Last night I made a really good pizza for Ollie and I, the kids just had regular cheese pizza with bad white crust.  For Ollie and I--I made a flaxseed crust.  The recipe I use for pizza crust calls for 3 cups of flour.  For ours I used 1 cup of white flour, 1 cup of wheat flour, and 1 cup of flaxseed.  It was actually pretty good.  It had a nutty taste that wasn't bad.  I made a roasted red pepper sauce.  I kind of made it up (Michelle--you didn't call me back!).  I put a jar of roasted red peppers in the blender and added some flaxseed (of course) and some ricotta cheese and blended it up.  That was the bottom sauce and then I put a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese and then spinach, mushrooms, feta cheese, purple onions, and red bell pepper.  It was a really good pizza.  I'd like to say that I made this up but I actually copied it from a Kashi frozen pizza I had earlier this week.  So, I've now found a way to have pizza on my new diet.  

I also made some pumpkin muffins last night.  I thought I would have 2 extra kids for breakfast--and wanted to plan ahead.  They turned into very healthy muffins.  I was out of white flour so I used whole wheat flour, cut the sugar in half and you guessed it--added some flaxseed!  I even had one for breakfast.  I know I am not supposed to have sugar but it was really minimal.  Besides I think all that flaxseed will cancel out a tablespoon of sugar.  

For anyone who is interested, here's the pizza crust recipe.  I do the dough in a bread machine--

1 cup warm water
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup ground flaxseed
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. bread machine yeast (1 1/2 tsp. of regular yeast)

4 comments:

Grammy said...

I think the pizza sounds great!! I love flax seed. Next time I visit you can make pizza!!
I have been using wheat flour in alot of stuff and find it to substitute well in recipes.I have got to get healthy. But I do love country fried steak and corn bread!!
Can you tell I'm a southern girl!!
Love, Mom

Lisa said...

That pizza looks AWESOME! Flax rocks. I take a combo of Flax and Evening Primrose Oil every day...It helped me get rid of the rest of my "Isaac weight" and chilled out my...hmmm....let's just say "monthly mood fluctuations"....:)

crispy said...

I often will toss flax seed in my bread dough. I grind it in my blender. It adds a bit of a nutty flavor. It's really good for your heart (good for Tissy) and good for asthma (good for Tally). I keep it in the freezer so it doesn't go rancid. And it has to be fresh ground.

Julie said...

Yum! Looks and sounds so good!