Friday, September 28, 2007

I learned something new in science this week

This week's science was about yeast. We did this really easy and neat experiment. On Tuesday, we mixed yeast, warm water, and sugar and poured it into a bottle. Then we put a balloon on the bottle and put it in a warm, dark place. When we checked on it -we saw that the balloon had been partially blown up. On Thursday, we did the same thing but used salt instead of sugar. As you can see, it did not blow up the balloon. I have often wondered why bread recipes call for sugar and have been tempted to omit it. Now I see why you use sugar--it feeds the yeast. Without it the bread wouldn't rise as well. So, we both learned something this week!

8 comments:

Leisa said...

Don't you love homeschooling science projects. I just know the public school wouldn't have enough beer bottles for everyone. =) I could use a few of those bottles right now without the yeast.

Steph C. said...

Funny pic. It looks like Hannah is holding her beer with a nipple on the top!
Funny the basic things we know and don't know. I knew that yeast fed on sugar but forgot that I couldn't have too hot of water or HELLO you killed the yeast! AND, Jeff and I were at the Lake the other day and I didn't know why the dock was on rollers. He explained that it was so when the water rose and fell you could still step onto the boat at a reasonable level. Duh!I felt like such an idiot!

Rackleton said...

nice beer bottle she holds it like a pro!!!!

Lisa said...

I love doing science experiments with kids! Hey...you could send your girls to my house...I found a few "science experiments" in my refrigerator when I cleaned it out the other day!

oneblessedmamma said...

TOO funny-the whole beer bottle thing.

Tiffany said...

I was really hoping that in light of the outstanding "wow" science that we were doing that noone would notice that we did this experiment with beer bottles. Nothing gets past you guys though--you're really sharp and can spot a beer bottle when you see one!

Steph C. said...

Forget the coffee clatch, woo hoo!!

Starrs In Denver said...

We are doing Adventures this year too! I found you on the MFW blogroll. We enjoyed that experiment as well and I posted about it too! We used a beer bottle as well...nothing sinful about that! Enjoy the rest of your school year...don't you just love Adventures?
~Rose