I'm feeling the pressure to post something at least once a day. I love reading everyone else's blogs and I am disappointed when for days on end nothing new comes up. So, being the people pleaser that I am, I feel the need to post something wonderful everyday. Of course, wonderful seldom happens but I try to write at least something. So, here goes just some random thoughts and ideas floating through my tired brain.
I just got dinner in the oven--woohoo! It's chicken ro-tel, something everybody loves. I really love those nights when I know that everyone will be thrilled with the night's dinner. This always leads me to ask the question of myself--why do you keep making things that you aren't sure they are going to like or even the things you know they don't like. Why? I'll tell you why--I like variety and I am forever trying new recipes. Like last night's dinner: Lentil Loaf (like meat loaf but made with lentils). The kids were okay with it, I liked it okay, and Ollie loved it. Unfortunately, I didn't have lentils so I made it with a little red legume that looks like lentils but smaller. Something I had bought from the Indian store. I'll have to try the recipe again when I have lentils. I'm having a really hard time with having the right ingredients for meal time. Once upon a time I would write a menu each week and include any other things I needed to make for special events coming up. I was really on the ball and only went to the store once a week or sometimes once every two weeks. Last week I went to the store 5 times!!! I could only get my brain around one day at a time. So, I had to continually go out for the next thing. This week I tried to do better. I made a menu but still forgot some essentials. Like the lentils. Tonight I was missing ro-tel tomatoes. Kind of important since I made chicken RO-TEL! I had to improvise with a can of tomatoes and a can of green chilies. I do not like improvising. I like to be organized and have all the ingredients and recipes right on hand. Yesterday I finally had time to make ice-cream and I couldn't find my recipes or the book that goes with the maker. I fudged it though and we had some pretty good vanilla ice cream. I should have just sat on it because that's where it appeared this morning. I really wish I was one of those people who could eat whatever they want and stay so thin. Of course those people don't want to eat anything but tofu and alfalfa sprouts and that's why they are so skinny. Or they like to exercise. I am so not one of those people but I need to be. Enough about that!
Tomorrow is a holiday for us. My mama arrives in town in the morning and we are picking her up at the airport and heading for Disney for the day. I really can't wait. We are going to MGM first and then on to Magic Kingdom. I really want to stay all day and into the evening. We'll see how we all hold up. We've never stayed for the fireworks so I'd like to do that. I'm packing our favorite special Disney lunch. M, stop reading right here--just go away because you won't like what you are going to hear. Whenever we go to Disney we take "fluffernutters". These are peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwiches. I make them even more unhealthy by making them with white bread. I use the Pampered Chef doohicky that makes them into uncrustables. My kids can go through two loaves of bread worth. We also take cheese sticks so we are sort of healthy. Oh, and we only drink water. I'm sure I'll have lots of pictures to post on Friday.
That's about all...I've bored you enough.
5 comments:
Fluffernutters ROCK! You should try them with strawberry marshmellow fluff sometime...not quite the same, but still YUM. Have a blast tomorrow!
I'm glad the ice cream turned out well. Have fun at Disney tomorrow!
Ha. Since M REFUSES to have the comment option on her blog open, I have recently informed her that it is OPEN season elsewhere. So tonight I find out that sugar IS allowed in their home but it has to be RAW sugar. Ohhhhh, RAW sugar. Ok. Nuf' said? So fluffernutter up and she is coming tomorrow to my cinnamon bread made with (say it with me now) RAW sugar. Lol
Also on the variety thing in cooking...I just keep trying new baking recipes...EVERYONE loves whatever it is! Problem solved! Lol
Ok, I hardly ever leave comments, but I had to on this one. first of all, WHERE is that Lentil non-meatloaf recipe? Post it! I need cheap, acceptable meals this week, and...I have lentils!
Second of all, I never said I don't eat ANY sugar. I said I don't eat refined sugar. Big difference. (Still try to keep any sugar to a minimum, though) And, I'm pretty sure that marshmallow sandwiches would be a no-no for me for oh so many reasons! Lol. But, hey, eat whatever you want. It's disney...land of sugary sweet fluff. I bet marshmallow sandwiches fit right in. :)
Now...where IS that lentil recipe?
Hey I hope you all have fun at Disney and I'm sure the SluSSernutters will be great!
See ya tomorrow!
Post a Comment