First, about the election. Disclaimer--I get most of my news from hearsay. I seldom watch the news nor do I ever read the newspaper. So, any of my thoughts about the election are definitely going to be somewhat ignorant just so you know. I have very mixed feelings about McCain's running mate Palin. On one hand, it was a smart move on his part because now he can truly compete with Obama. I think it's pretty cool that she is a mom of 5 kids, one of them only a baby. BUT--who's going to raise her kids while she's helping to run the country? Can she really do both and do them both well? Not that how she raises her kids is any of my business. And--McCain is no spring chicken. What if he gets sick? What if he dies? Can she be our President? Do I want a woman running this country. I can't even run my home smoothly for all the craziness I feel sometimes due to hormones gone wild. I'm assuming she's no different. Sorry if I've offended any women's rights people. I do think a woman has the right to be President but not sure I think it's a good idea. About Obama...I don't even know what to say there. So I won't say anything.
Have I offended anyone yet? If I have, I just want to say I hate confrontation. I'm no good at it and never want anyone to be mad at me. If you think I'm a big idiot would you mind keeping it to yourself. I don't think I want to know that you think that. Thanks.
Today has been okay....I overslept again. So, I've had no quiet time, I haven't done my exercises for my feet, just got dressed an hour or two ago and didn't brush my teeth until I sat down to tutor my neighbor girl and then realized that my breath probably smelled like a butt and I should go brush. I did get school done though. I pretty much always get school done. The house could be falling down around me and I would insist that we finish that page of math before we evacuate. This determination is a blessing and a curse. Unfortunately, somedays I really should throw in the towel. Like today, I was ranting at Grace for asking to make tea for the hundredth time and she commented that maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night. Thanks Grace. School with Joe went okay. He seems to have to have a daily fit to get our day off on the right foot. After his fit he cooperates beautifully. I'm revamping his school to tailor it to his needs (the need to never write anything). He hates writing and I have full confidence that he won't grow up and not know how to write so for the time being I'm giving him a break. He does love to color so I'm adding coloring to our morning. I want him to enjoy our time together while he's learning. He does have to do minimal writing for math and I will probably try to be creative mom and have him do some "writing" in flour or pudding or something. But not today. And not tomorrow. He is coming along great with his reading lessons. I am using "Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading" with him and Grace and they are both progressing beautifully. He is mostly a really good reader for his age and for that I am thankful. As I've mentioned more than once--I do not enjoy teaching a child to read. I actually find it hugely frustrating and slow as Christmas. I am much more into the immediate rewards. But--with that said, it is an honor to be able to teach my kids how to read and to give them that one on one instruction. Let's just hope and pray they get it soon. Grace has shown huge improvements and finally has a decent sight word vocabulary. Two letter words still stump her--"do," "go," and "be." This can be mildly aggravating but I am biting my tongue and being patient.
Hurricane Hanna seems to be passing us by with just a little wind. My Hannah is very disappointed. She was really excited about getting rained on by herself. She thinks it's way cool that there is a storm named after her. As much as I love a good tropical storm, I am glad we aren't going to see much from it. Many people are still flooded out and I feel for them. Ike may be a doozy though so it ain't over yet.
I've rambled enough. I'm off to debone some chickens for White Chicken Chili. Ya'll have a good day ya' hear!
51 comments:
Okay, wait, I only got half way through, but I agree with you about the Palin thing, but never would have said it myself. I kind of think women do better when they are at home rasing their kids. OUCH I really hate offending too. I love all women...yikes, I'm just saying, okay, I am sweating now and need to go read the rest.
Okay, now I am realing laughing. You are so sweet and funny. This morning I had my kids working on pronous and Jane says she wants to write a sentence with a pronoun in it and gets up to the board and writes...."She told me we had butt breath." I wanted to kill her and she said "what, you are always telling us that." So I am laughing hard at you saying such a thing. And I think you just are funny in this post. I think it's great that you taught them how to read and are teaching your son. What a HUGE accomplishment. I hope you have a relaxing rest of the day. I have been hearing about underwear facts all day. Very interesting! Oh, I really liked your hair in those braids. Put those braids in your hair and go look at yourself in the mirror and I guarantee you will feel terrific.
It's good to hear that reading is going well at your house now! I wish I could let the house fall apart and be determined to school. I am more likely to use any excuse to avoid school :( If I decide that the windows just have to be cleaned today....school may just be tossed aside, not a good thing! I like reading your thoughts on Palin, the whole topic makes me curious about how others view it. I do enjoy the political process and try to keep up with it, so people's opinions interest me :) I just won't debate them :) Sorry this is a long comment but your post was long too!!
You're a big idiot! Just kidding--on another note...women are much better multi-taskers than men :)
I kind of am intrigued by PALIN, as long as her man stays at home it might be ok. What's not to like about a woman who's slogan is babies...guns...Jesus? But who knows I do think McCain could have one foot in the grave! But really ladies I mean we secretly have been running things for thousands of years, so what's the difference....Yikes no flames from Steph, I swear I will get out my Debi Pearl book and reread it...I will be a submissive wife..I will be a submissive wife...
Ok, just to let you know that whole paragraph was sarcasm...no confrontation, or politics here!
I have to say that I am not at all against Palin and McCain, just not sure how I feel. It is true that women are good multi-taskers. I really want to do my own research about all the candidates--Pres and VP. Someday before November I'll do that.
I'm not sure how I feel about any of them yet either, but I had to say I like what Leisa said about us running things for thousands of years and Ingle nook is right about the multi-tasking!!
I'm just thinkin' that baby needs her mama... Can you imagine a more demanding job, with hardly any free time with your family??
I have to say that to question Palin and her time of spending with her family, why don't we question that of any politician? Most of them are parents. Most male politicians are Dads, right? Do we question that?
I think Palin has spunk and is bringing some life back into politics. Her speech was great last night (yep I watched them all last night). I love how she is outside the box with her 5 kids and all.
I also believe that some people are able to get more accomplished in life than others. I believe that Palin is one of those individuals. Remember she is not coming from being a stay at home mom and stepping into the White House. She has been busy running a state (and a large one at that).
great post... for the record, I think it was a very smart move for McCain.
LOL! You are toooo funny! I always enjoy reading your posts. That's when I get the chance to read blogs. Lately I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to visit my friends. :O(
Now about Palin, she seems to be an amazing woman, but what woman isn't? I have always felt unsure about having a woman in a leadership roll. Call me old fashioned, I don't mind. I feel that once a woman is married and has children her priority should be her hubby and her children.
Of course, God first(ALWAYS). But that's just what I think. But hearing her speak and seeing her family. I really think she can do it. I wanted to go up on that stage, hug her and tell her, "YOU GO GIRL!" But that's a feeling taking over me. I'm still unsure about women as leaders. I agree with you, women are emotional creatures. That's the way God created us. :o)
Now as for McCain, have we forgotten how old Reagan was? He did a great job. McCain's got lots of years left in him. How old was Moses when God had him part the sea? :o)
My Knight just told me, that I was blogging instead of commenting. Hope it's ok.
Ok, Ok, I'm here. Lol
Leisa, do I FLAME????? NO, of course not! But since we're on the subject...here ya' go.
A woman does not belong in the position of vice president. Period.
Her pregnant teen age daughter is indication enough of lack of proper parenting. YES, it's true whether you like it or not.
WHO is going to be there when her younger daughter starts her period, her baby needs her for x,y or z or her teen daughter is in labor? She's going to just hold off running the country so she can be a grandmother? mother? wife?
Scripture is CLEAR about such things so don't take it out on me, take it UP with God.
All that being said, I think they beat the alternative.
(how'd I do for not flaming?)
I'm loving reading all of these comments.
I tried hard not to say anything. I wasn't going to comment on this. I don't like to discuss politics. However, I want to say a little. I have had the same reservations. However, it is not up to me to decide how Sarah and Todd Palin take care of their family. That is a decision that they have already made. If she is not VP, she will still be the Gov. of Alaska. Yes, VP is way more responsibility. I have every confidence that she can handle it. Is it the choice I would make for my family? No. The choice I have to make for my family is to vote for the candidate who will uphold our values while in office.
Steph, I don't know you, so I hope that you won't take this too personally. I hope you will take it as food for thought. While I agree with some of the things you said, it is not true that a teenage pregnancy is an indication of poor parenting. When our children are out of our sight, they will make decisions on their own. They will make some really good choices and some really poor choices. Some will have little consequence. Some will have major consequence. All we can do is do the best we can while they are young to teach them God's way, and pray they follow in it. We can not make that happen. We must let them make the choice to follow Him for themselves. The best parents still have children who make poor choices as teenagers and adults. There but for the grace of God go I.
Emily...great comment. I have great parents and I had a son out of wed-lock...actually Tiffany and I have the same parents--just a thought :)
Me too Julie!
Emily, Hi there! Loved your comment. We are all different in our thoughts and beliefs. The beauty is we don't have to agree and can still walk in love and peace. So no, I do not take it personally at all! It is because you do not know me that you may not fully understand my comment. I realize that was a big comment for me to make and most of the women here do know me and our way of parenting. I can understand fully how you would think that was a pretty big blanket statement. :) And you are correct that our children will make mistakes along the way...some big, some small. But I stand on the fact that it is very likely in fact that a teen pregnancy is a result of something being a amiss in the home. Sheperding hearts, dating vs. courtship...the list can go on and on. My point is that her family will suffer at her increased absence even more as VP and that position requires more than full time attention. We've become so immuned to what poor parenting is that we may not ven recognize it in a high functioning home. Good to discuss with you though! Be blessed my sister!
By the way-
I had three of my four children out of wedlock...it is not about judging-we shouldn't confuse that. It is often misunderstood as judgement when such statements are made but they often are NOT judgemental.
For me, it was a direct result of how was I parented but I still have to take full responsibility and I do.
Bottom line is scripture. The biblical model is that women are not supposed to be in such positions of authority. Not in every situation of course, but the MODEL is such. If that pushes a buttons...I am truly sorry.
I humbly suggest for reasons of respecting Tif's blog that we move on!
Tif, I think you win for number of comments on a post!
Um I don't want to be rude or anything but I actually got 18 comments once for my chai tea post... if you think politics is interesting try writing about chai tea! do people know this comment was meant for laughs? i hope so!
I wanted to leave a comment re: Steph's comment. However, I seem to have beaten to the punch by Emily. I wasn't going to say anything ugly but I just wanted to mention that two of my favorite people have a daughter who had a child out of wed lock. She has become an awesome mom with an awesome son. I belive this was possible in part because her paren't were supportive, helpful and loving. I belive the same to be true for Sarah Palin. I think that she is capable of being vice president AND being a great mom AND helping her daugther through this situation.
My parents were awesome parents and I've made my fair share of mistakes. I take full responsibility for those and do not in anyway blame them on my parents (except for maybe my bad attitude and dislike of things that don't match but that's fine).
I also want to say that I think it's AWESOME that something like Sarah Palin can cause "controversy" on a blog and have 10 plus smart women voice their opinions in a civilized way. I wish that's the way it always worked.
Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Am I the ONLY person who thought Tiffany's butt breath comment was funny?! Seriously? Oh well.
I personally thought the butt breath comment was funny. So was talking about finishing math before evacuating. Sometimes I just really crack myself up. The throwing feminine products was really cracking me up though, just the memory--and for the record, I did laugh. A lot. And even threw some myself. I think I'll do that at Precepts next week. What do you think Patricia would do if a tampon landed at her feet. I just cracked myself up all over again.
WOW 20 posts... this topic is hottttt... I have nothing of value to add, other than ...babies...guns.....jesus!
Oh and tha pic in the sling, it rocks. The only way to improve it would be her to be nursing as she gave that interview~~yikes! Magical Milk O the Week Pic here she comes ;)
As you can see I am math challenged I am sorry 23 comments and still going...
This is why you are teaching my daughter math...
I love the idea, I'll bring my SUPER-PLUS ones. Ijust got a new box. Maggie was playing with them though so I have to see if I have any left.
oh and I thought the math comment was funny too..you are funny, very funny!
Now we've made it to 25 comments. Can I hear 30?
Leisa--it's not that you can't count it's just that these comments are coming so fast that by the time you've typed yours there are more. Isn't it fun? Don't we have something better to do? Like school our kids?
This is my last one because I have to leave and for the record--school is done.
One more thing--good point to those of you who made it about the dad. I for one have never given that a thought but you are right.
This has cracked me up! Great to know that women have strong valid opinions. Now quit commenting take your butt breath and throw some tampons!!
I love this group of ladies!!
To help Tiff get to 30...what do you guys think about Obama? Just kidding! Do not answer...I mean it! :)
You're making me nervous about throwing tampons at precepts! It makes me laugh to think about it but I am afraid you might be serious!!!
I have mixed feelings about Palin but she sure beats the alternative! And I really like her alot. She was so well spoken at the convention and not a bit of nerves- she doesn't seem to be letting her emotions rule her so far.
And one more thing- Debi, was Scott feeding you that last post? I feel like I am seeing a whole different side of Debi H!
No, Debi's a bulldog! No Scott in any of those comments!! I think Palin termed it a pit bull with lipstick!!
We are at 33 do I hear 40???
Goodness, how did I miss all the drama? Coming from the other side of the political spectrum, y'all don't even want to KNOW what I think. Just funny how all the "conservatives" are suddenly embracing someone whose family structure looks, well, awfully liberal. Just sayin'. Still, I'm glad he chose her over Romney. Then what would all y'all conservatives do? Vote for a non-christian VP or a liberal president? That would get sticky! Seriously...Romney could have been the nominee. What's conservative about that? (Tee-hee, just feeding the flame to set some sort of comment record.)
Tif-keep your butt breath to yourself. And if tampons appear in Precept, I am denying knowing you faster than Peter denied Christ, and more fervently :-).
obm PHEW! i thought i was going to have to hightail it back to new york for the next couple of months...imagine that, a liberal who thinks women should stay home and i'm pro life...
I don't normally comment either, but several thoughts struck me as I read all of the responses...
As far as I know (and I have done some searching), the Bible does not expressly state that women should not serve in leadership roles within the CIVIL realm. In fact, in the Old Testament were there not female judges in Israel that were clearly in roles of authority within the civil realm? However, I will agree that the biblical role of women is explicitly clear when deliniated in the realms of home and the church. Not to say that there could be wise principles to govern and apply in this area...And I am careful to assert that God alone is Lord of our conscience and has given us His Word to bind our decisions.
Also, I find that Scripture tells a very true story of fallen humanity, replete with examples of children of believers falling into sin (look at King Solomo). I don't believe based on a mistake of one child, can the parents' character and lives be judged.
I also can't help but address some of the political discussion, given the fact that my hubby was a poli-sci major :o). I just wanted to point out that there is a difference b/w religious conservatism and Republican conservatism, which encompasses both fiscal AND social issues. While one person may be a political conservative, he or she may not be conservative on both social and economic issues. Does that make sense? It's interesting that Romney was brought up in a recent post as not being a conservative...b/c I believe he was the poster child of the political conservatives during the primary season on the Republican side, at least on economic issues and now publicly professing a conservative stance on social issues. In fact, Romney is more conservative than McCain on fiscal matters.
Economic conservatives believe that free market ideas drives and directs the economy...they believe in controlled government spending, balanced budgets, and lowering the federal debt. They believe that by cutting taxes and reducing government budgets, that they will stimulate economic spending and growth.
Now the liberals (on economics) believe in bigger government, more regulation and control of the govt. in the market, and increased taxes. Economic liberals also believe that the market takes its lead from the government and is what stimulates the economy (think FDR). In 2007, Obama was ranked by the National Journal to be the most liberal senator in the US Senate. Yes, over Ted Kennedy and over Hillary Clinton. This poll ranked Senate members on issues of economics, social issues and foreign policy. Not only is Obama a social liberal, he takes extreme liberal positions on economics...supporting more government spending.
Sorry for the epistle!
Heather
Man, to get Heather to speak up is something else!
Okay, I won't take the bait entirely, but I think Heather and I could have fun...Let me just say that I totally understand the difference in "conservative" viewpoints, but clearly most of the US does not separate this type of church and state, as it seems almost a given that to be Christian and Republican go hand in hand. In fact, I am a conservative Christian but a liberal in terms of economy. I think government regulation is good. I'm not into undisclosed tampering with my food, trusting businesses to "do-the-right-thing" with regards to employees and customers, or not having standards for say, airplane maintenance, just as examples.
I'd also like to point out that God gave us dominion over the earth to take care of it...and that's part of what regulation is needed for too because businesses left to their own devises seem to be profit driven to the point that contaminating the water or soil or air is just an expected by-product...but I digress.
Oh, and as to economic "big government"...which party balanced the national budget? Where does that budget stand now? Just checking.
I threw Romney out there because last I checked Mormon was not considered Christian by most Christians, and while he may be the poster child for government conservative-ness, I think the Republican party relies heavily on the Religious right, and it would have been quite a quandry for many to have to decide to follow your God or your party.
Also for the record, I think FDR was one of the best presidents we ever had. He turned the country around. Found jobs for people. Created jobs for people. Was forward thinking about economic and environmental directions for our country.
Oh, and he helped those in need...because it's the right thing to do (Jesus says so) no matter what the cost.
what obm said
also, i just wanted to assure anyone in precepts...i was totally kidding about throwing tampons...i think tiffany was too, but i don't want to speak for her...tiffany you were kidding, right?
Hey OBM and all,
I think we would totally have a great conversation about politics (in person)...I lost a good friend two years ago (she moved away), and she was my one gal friend that we could discuss (and I mean discuss and disagree) issues of politics...I miss her. That being said, I have several friends who are economic liberals, while socially conservative. Good for you for knowing where you stand and why.
I mainly posted b/c it seemed many didn't understand some of the semantics being thrown out there by the political media...conserva-
tive vs. liberal...and why I also didn't touch the social issues often surrounding the two parties. I found that they are more readily understood and more hotly debated.
Specifically with Romney, I find it interesting that while not a Christian, he is considered more conservative (politically speaking) than the current Republican nominee for President. But yes, I think you are right, that many don't see the distinction b/w political "rightness" and religious "rightness"...but I do think that when it comes to ruling in the civil realm, it does matter.
And you are absolutely right about President Bush's poor track record on the budget and government size expansion (in terms of programs). That is why, economic conservatives have descried him as "ruining the conservative brand". Bush has supported economic policies which are NOT conservative in any way, shape, or form. And unfortunately, his overall policies are not just limited to the effects of the war in Iraq, but his expansion of the government in general. That is partly why McCain is running as a reformer, b/c obviously Bush isn't performing well, specifically in the realm of economics. You and others may be interested in knowing that McCain is also considered more of a moderate than a conservative on issues of economics. He is seen more of a regulator when it comes to the economy, than most fiscal conservatives.
A primary difference between both parties is how they view the size, scope, and role of government in our day to day lives. It is a generalization, but holds fairly true that conservatives believe in smaller government, with limited power (and more power returned to states and local authorities), while liberals believe in bigger government, with increased centralized power.
And economic conservatives do believe in government regulation (no, I think all can agree that salmonella in contaminated imported foods is bad, and so is unchecked, absolute monopolies in the marketplace), but their philosophy is less is more. They do not endorse absent government oversight, but limited govt. regulation...believing that too much govt. interference can suppress the free market (e.g., policies concerning the car industry and requiring car manufacturers to not only produce more small compact vehicles when the free market is demanding SUV's and other gas guzzling vehicles but penalizing them when they don't sell enought small cars, is in most economic conservatives opinion, far reaching.)
I also agree with you and believe in the fact that man was given dominion over the earth and that God instituted government as a means to check and hold accountable man (b/c we all know man is fallen). And yet, conservatives believe that with increased power in the government in our lives is inherently bad (the govt. taking our money via taxation and deciding how best to spend it vs. individuals being able to decide how to spend that money...whether it be to invest or give to charitable organizations or the neighbor in need next door or spurring on economic growth by purchasing some commodity), is more likely to end in wasteful spending (by said government), decreased personal freedom, and decreased economic growth.
And I also agree that FDR was in many ways a great President. And it did appear that all of the spending for his government projects helped America out of the Depression...but economic conservatives would argue that there were other factors already in place that would have helped lift America out of financial ruin, besides FDR's famous dams and projects.
Food for thought! By the way, I love these types of discussions and love how Christian brothers and sisters can come to different conclusions. And I by no means know it all...I consider that I am still fairly ignorant and know only a fraction regarding public policy...but I am trying to become more informed and process that information with what I believe.
I hope this discussion is spurring people on to research, to think about such matters, and to discuss.
Love, Heather
I'm voting for Obama. Nope I'm not joking.
Ok, do we hear 50 comments, 50 going once, twice, ???
SO...how does the Libertarian candidate look???
I am curious about the deleted post.
What deleted post? The libertarian candidate is great (Bob Barr) , but just doesn't stand a real chance :(
I am sorry for any ill will by my comment about abortion. I have deleted it. My rhetoric was probably too flippant and was not intended to be hurtful. My target was not women suffering the pain of a past abortion or those in the midst of that decision. I was just highlighting the culpability of our lawmakers who choose to vote in ways that do not protect babies.
I will say no more other than I am sorry for any offense.
Leisa
Leisa, you are gracious. I appreciate that.
and just because i want to make it to fifty i decided to leave this one
Heather and obm...and other interested readers :)
Your points are exactly the kinds of things voters in ANY election (including local and state) should be aware of and I appreciate the informed comments. How political policy influences our daily lives and how our vote effects that is what really matters. I hope I get to be comment #50!
Post a Comment