Saturday, September 6, 2008

White Chicken Chili

I can't take the credit for this recipe, I got this from StephC.  It's absolutely the best chili ever.  I made a huge batch on Thursday and took it to the church potluck and it was a huge hit.  I have to take about 10 people the recipe tomorrow.  We've been eating if for days and we all love it.  So, without further ado, the dining room presents....your dinner

White Chicken Chili  (I would recommend doubling this because you will want more and more)

16 oz. can white beans
1 bag frozen corn
2 onions, chopped
1 stick of butter (that's why it's so good)
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups half and half (I didn't say it was lowfat)
1 tsp. tabasco (I omitted this)
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 4-oz. cans of chopped green chilies
about 2 lbs. of chicken, cooked and shredded
1 1/2 c. grated Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 c. sour cream

Melt the butter and saute the onions in the butter until soft.  Add the flour and whisk to mix.  Slowly add the chicken broth and half and half while stirring.  Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients except the sour cream and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.  Add the sour cream and serve.  

4 comments:

Steph C. said...

This is TRULY the most delicious thing ever. The tobasco does NOT make it spicy by the way. I have made it without the cheese, without the sourcream and without the half and half and it is STILL delicious. It's the cumin I tell you. I would use a little more of the specialty spices. When I make it now I leave out the cheese altogether. You can't even tell the difference. Glad they all liked it Tif. It is definitely a signature recipe! :)

ann marie said...

ooohhh! i must try this!

Grammy said...

Well at 94 + degrees here, I just couldn't really think chili, so I made a southern dinner of, white beans cooked with ham bone and corn bread!! yummy Had other stuff too but the chicken chili made me think of white beans...

Love you, Mom

Julie said...

Sound so good, I think we'll be having it this week.